Cheater exposed, nothing happens

I understand the hypothetical and agree with it. Perhaps zero tolerance was a touch harsh. Being all inclusive is something I feel PB and this game in general does do fairly well. However since both sides have conceded that this case in particular is especially heinous, could I ask a favor, on behalf of the community, for this case to be reopened and reevaluated as to this persons punishment and ask that support/developers get in contact with the individual in question and make an attempt to find whatever hack/ who made said hack and make an attempt to shut it down and perhaps if they cooperate they have their account knocked down a whole division on both Col and Arena from say Plat 5 to Gold 5 and keep their account monitored for an unspecified amount of time to see if they indeed stay the course.

Then perhaps in the future have accusations of cheating handled on a case by case basis and look into it to see if it indeed was a child wrapped up in someone elses misguided attempts to cheat the system and see if they will be of assistance of how they got a hold of said tool or in cases like this have them permenantly banned from the game for their actions.

If nothing else we know that this wasn’t an accident like proposed in the hypothetical and in this case where proof was provided in dividends (props to OP for doing so) and was clearly intended and malicious in execution and should be punished accordingly.

2 Likes

The hypothetical situation used by Polaris doesn’t fit. If I could be allowed to analogize to theft, his hypothetical would be akin to a child stealing candy from a store, whereas this case is more along the lines a willful and intentional theft.

The punishment should fit the crime. This person not only admitted to cheating, but explained how AND encouraged others to do so. They continue to benefit from their illgotten gains.

Meanwhile, a few months ago I had a guild member get their account suspended for a week. At the time, they were a top 5 account on server 1 and had spent a few thousand dollars. They were never given a reason for the suspension, nor an apology, nor any kind of compensation. In that time they lost out on a weeks worth of growth, rewards, and dailies. It’s sad when a developer treats cheaters better than honest players.

We monitor chatter about the game, and are aware of many of the hack and cheats used in the game. We work hard to detect them, and prevent players from using them, but it’s a never-ending battle. As we adjust, cheaters find new ways to cheat.

We don’t suspend people ‘for no reason’. We have policies and procedures that we follow and apply to all accounts that violate the rules. If someone is unclear what they did to violate the rules, support is happy to discuss it with the account owner. We want people to play the game, and randomly banning people doesn’t make sense.

3 Likes

I think PerBlue is handling this situation in all the right ways! You guys need to understand they are running a business and there are laws to follow! Yes this guy is knowingly cheating but they can’t ban him due to policy! If you don’t have a policy in place then PerBlue would be held to discrimination lawsuits! They can’t assume who the person is and their reason for cheating! There are a ton of people playing this game the last thing they can do in generalize people! These individuals will be warned and flagged and if they cheat again they will be punished properly! For those of you that spent money and didn’t win that’s tough luck and simply a bad investment if you know there are cheaters and are spending just to win rewards that is your gamble! Thank you @Polaris

2 Likes

@AshMac we don’t need to assume why they cheated. By their own admission they knowingly and willingly violated the TOS.

1 Like

@Polaris, I didn’t consider this situation and appreciate you sharing the logic behind the cheating policy. I think in the context of a younger or naive player who fits your situational description, the policy is well thought out and very considerate. Afterall, DH was initially developed and aimed with younger players in mind.

As the game has risen in popularity over the past ~year, an influx of older players / experienced gamers have joined and unfortunately some have developed or found the means to cheat, cheated, and actively tried to convince others to do the same.

Considering this now reported situation and the fact that the intended audience of the game has evolved to include a significant number of experienced gamers, can the initial cheating policy evolve along with the game to address?

As an example, amending the current policy to outline the more severe repercussions for a player that demonstrates intent and comprehension of their reported cheating. This update would ensure both types of cheating (accidental and intentional) are covered.

If those with intent are not addressed, this type of cheater will receive a one-time warning and be allowed to remain in the game using the benefits they did not rightfully earn to compete against those that spent time and/or money. Not to mention, when there is knowledge of their cheating, the result is rampant animosity.
This player may not cheat again after their slap on the wrist, but the damage has been done - they have achieved what they wanted and can continue to play. What repercussions are applied or lessons learned in this situation other than the ability to successfully skirt the rules?

Although I know any update to a policy is rarely able to be applied retroactively to past behavior, my hope is PerBlue will update the cheating policy soon in order to address intentional cheating ongoing.

1 Like

Yes and due to that violation they only derseve a warning! For as long as there is a competition there will be a cheater welcome to reality! What you guys are asking PerBlue to do by banning them immediately is unlawful due to an appropriate policy!

According to the TOS, PerBlue can terminate an account for cheating, without warning. They are CHOOSING to let this player get away with it.

“Termination. PerBlue may suspend or terminate Your account or Your use of the Game at any time, without notice, for any reason or for no reason. ”

1 Like

@Polaris I initially didn’t think much about your hypothetical story, but then realized, you might be absolutely right. In fact, I think I know exactly what you are referring to, (and forget hypothetical)—Boyz n the Hood. I mean, I get it, say Doughboy doesn’t get arrested for shoplifting but is explained that what he did has consequences. We both know Doughboy probably doesn’t end up in a murdered, but maybe, just maybe Doughboy, instead, gets to go fishing with Tre, gets a better chance at life and passes on some wisdom to the bext generation. So yeah, in a way, perblue has kind of a duty to go out and save Doughboy. (This is where I always break down
that ending
poor Doughboy!)

So
what some people here want
and lemme just move past cheating for a min, you chat silences as an example. If they happen unjustly in the eyes of the player the player fights to get themself of chat silenced. However,they give three or four warnings before a perm zilence. Ir doesnt matter how bad that person was or if they didnt do anything at all. So
 Dooesnt this kinda work in the same way? Granted not in this partiulary case but other cases for sure.

Chat silences doesn’t affect performance in the game. It may add to the actual social part of a social game, but chatting it up, doesn’t increase team power or coli jumps. But cheating does and has an effect on others. He may jump to top spot in coli, but it then makes it easy to knock down everyone else. We have to scramble up and he does it again. Without that cheat, a low power doesn’t make it up to the top. Doesn’t cause everyone to suddenly drop. Doesn’t waste others atracks. Unless that is what perblue wants.

IMO comparing cheating to shoplifting is unfit.

‘Shoplifting’ in a game would be cursing in chat for me. Cheating, in particular in this case, is a very serious ‘crime’ in a game I would rather compare it to murder* or rape.
You don’t slap a murder on wrist and say ‘Sir, you know you did wrong. Please don’t do it again and have a good day’

*I see that in example provided by Polaris it wouldn’t be a murder, but most likely an involuntary manslaughter. However, manslaughter is still much more serious crime than shoplifting. In addition I agree with many - this guy admitted to using the cheat, knew what he was doing and actively tried to persuade others to use it as well, so an example should be made of him with swift swing of banhammer.
Otherwise it sends wrong message - I can cheat and reap benefits of it until I get caught and after my first warning I can continue to play normally

1 Like

I think there’s a simple solution.

Think about thieves in the real world. Once you caught them, you will force them to return what they have stolen back to their rightfull owners. That can be done in the game as well.

If someone cheated on ranking, they’re marked as thieves once confirmed. Their rankings will be rolled back and they are removed from the ranking plus cannot fight in col&arena for a time. Those who drop ranking thus missing rewards will be given back the rewards. If cheaters do it again, simply ban them a week and so on, until they get permanently banned.

I think cheaters in a game is like a disease. You can’t let cheaters grow in numbers just like you can’t let the disease spread. Remove virus and cure infected => Punish cheaters and reward those who fight them.

6 Likes

It’s generally more difficult to “roll back” someone than you think, especially when you want to give people what they may have lost. It would require a great deal of time and investigation. These things also have a butterfly effect you don’t know how it exactly effected everything.
This is why when there is a bug they just give blanket items to everyone, it is just more simple than figuring who was wronged and what they exactly would have had.

Your solution would require a great deal of effort and thus cost to implement. Their solution gives people the benefit of the doubt and while not perfect is actually probably the best solution as their only other options would be a suspension or ban.

2 Likes

If roll back cost to much then simply remove cheaters from rankings. Just like disqualification in sports.

1 Like

That could def work! I love the idea of restrictimg them from that stuff for a limited time!

Since you like my idea, will you consider hiring me in the future if you are the CEO? I’m still re-learning programing right now.

I’m Chinese so language could be a problem since I couldn’t pass IELTS a few years ago when I wanted to study aboard. Maybe I should have tried TOFEL or other language profitioncy tests :joy:

1 Like

XD if i am ever the CEO then i will make sure you get all expenses paid to proper programming college! XD and then i will hire you as second in comm and!..but first i need to graduate high school :upside_down_face: :grin:

1 Like

擈擈擈 :laughing:
hahaha

Per blue is well within their rights to ban the account. I support ludgate 100% in the case against this person. This person knows they did wrong, it’s not a case of “oops I didn’t know I was doing wrong”. And also screwed people outta thier proper rewards.

It’s good that you try to apply a 1 solution covers all, but when it comes to hacking, it can not be that way. You should be handling it on a case by case basis, as N one solution should be applied.

And good people are leaving because of it.

Darkwing Duck - Server 1, 2, 4

2 Likes
PerBlue Entertainment | Terms of Use | Cookie Policy | © Disney