Looking to Learn Skills for Creating Hero Concepts

I am highly interested in creating hero concepts. if you need help creating one, looking for an “intern” to assist you, or have any skills to share with me, PLEASE DO. I want to learn how to make high quality concepts from others or help before I start creating them on my own. Thanks!

4 Likes

So you need to help other people make concepts and you need help making them? You can just look at other concepts and see how it’s made. And mostly other people comment in that concept for feedback about it.

i’m not sure yet if i need help. i want to learn a little bit before i start creating my own and looking for those opportunities to help others and learn from them currently

Heres a tip bud.

DON’T. MAKE. RAPID. FIRE. CONCEPTS.

No one & I mean no one wants to see those. If you want to be decent, put your mind into the concepts. Try & get creative with the skills as well.

This is coming from someone who is decent with character concepts. Not the best! But decent.

7 Likes

Well a way to make a high quality concept is like @Musketeer said to put your mind to it, really think about the characters skills how the character will work, how do you want him/her to work? And try to be unique with the concept like probably add a new status or something or make a unique mix of effects or a new effect entirely but at the same time don’t make it to overly long that’s a mistake I’ve done multiple times.

Friendships, friendships arent just random characters together, you gotta really think about it in like a irl way, would these two possibly be friends if they were in the same universe?
The effects of a friendship are of course the hardest part of friendships, I base effects of friendships I do on how possibly the characters would work together during the friendship campaign or something like that.

Basically take your time and don’t spam concepts that took like 5 seconds to think of and 30 seconds to make, try to really think about skills, friendships and the characters your working on.

And if you really wanna see some great concepts that introduce some of the things I talked about above I suggest concepts made by @PawpsicleSticks , @Card_Brigade , @Filadae_Djaq , @Gjmguy , @LetsGetDangerousBro , @Musketeer , @Champion_David , @Kinokan , @TherMasterStitch
Each of those people are amazing concept makers who have some amazing concepts.

And if you want you can check out some of my concepts but they’re really mediocre,
Hope this helps you with your concepts! :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

I always thought the best way to learn is through some critics, make a concept, one concept, and pay attention to the critics, you don’t have to listen to everything they say, but they can often help you out.

A few tips:

• At least one picture of the character is a good idea to make the concept more enjoyable, if you want, you can also include GIFs for entrances, victories, defeats, and skill animations.

• It is a good idea to follow the format on the forums that you see alot of other people using.

• Use variables for numbers that are leveled up with the level of the skill, and make sure each skill has a variable.

• Avoid using variables for numbers that don’t change for skill levels, such as percentages, and seconds.

7 Likes

Well, maybe here’s a draft on how to make a good concept

Summary

Give the name of the hero

How many stars (3 at max)

What position they’re in (front, mid, back) (depending on their basic attacks)

What role (Damage, tank, support, control)

What team (red, blue, yellow)

Their basic attack, entrance, victory, and defeat.

And their skills: White, Green, Blue, Purple, and Red

Add Normal or Fantastic damage types if these skills include that

Red skills and mostly Purple have to be passive. That means they have no animation. Just upgrading the character’s skills or themselves.

Your character must have 1 or 2 friendships on characters that are already in the game and what these discs do.

Also ask for any feedback from other people. And press the pencil icon to edit.

Add pictures so the people know what character you’re making. And add gifs or skill pics to make your concept look attracting.

Don’t rapidfire your concepts like posting them so fast. Always check your concept before releasing.

Concepts can either be Disney or non-Disney. And you have to put Unlikely on your concept if you’re making an non-Disney concept.

That summarized in how to make a concept. Also check out other people’s concepts on how they work. Have fun making them! :wink:

5 Likes

i was wondering what is the importance of the position of the hero?

Like, if that character is punching or kicking the enemy, they’re front. Or if they’re throwing something, they are either mid or back

3 Likes

thank you. that makes sense

Well, you’ve already gotten several replies, but I’ll add my two cents as well.

• Use correct grammar and at least the minimum for formatting. This is very, very important. It doesn’t matter how good the rest of it is, if it’s a pain to read then no one will like it.

• Minimum formatting is putting the name on top, then a picture of the character, then their stars/role/line, then the skill names and effects, then the friendships which includes the campaign or disk name, disk power effect, and star effect.
    • Minimum formatting also includes using X for variables like skill damage instead of putting a number.
  • The skills, disks, role, and line should all fit together. Tanks should have a way to protect themselves or allies, back or midline characters shouldn’t dodge, etc. Remember, frontline heroes tend to take a lot of damage.

• If a character uses a certain status condition or stat a lot, then you may want to consider giving them a focus on it. A few examples of this in-game can be seen in the frozen gang or the Beast’s purple skills boosting the freeze/slows and crits, respectively.
  • The character should be familiar or at least relevant to current events in some way. I know a lot of people are posting unlikely concepts, but personally, I don’t read 90% of them solely for the fact that I don’t know who the character is, nor do I care enough to find out. Using Disney characters, most minor characters aren’t going to be much popular if there are main characters from the same movie that still aren’t in the game. After all, what’s the point in a Thumper concept if we don’t have Bambi, or the vultures if we don’t have Baloo or Bagheera?

• While it’s important to always strive to improve, there are a number of things you should avoid for now:

• Trial team color, chip locations, friendship campaign allies, and friendship dialog: All of these add nothing to the concept, and should be skipped entirely because they’re pointless.
    • SP/BD/Level growth and red skill: Both take extra effort and planning that you might not want to work out until you’re comfortable making concepts. Red skills in particular are tricky to come up with.
    • Trivia, circular skill icons, image gallery, skillset breakdown, or anything extra that’s similar: These are all exhausting to make, and they’re really only worth it if you think the skillset itself is amazing.

How to write better concepts isn’t a terribly uncommon question on the forums. I might consider writing a guide on the subject. :thinking:

8 Likes

I was actually planning on writing a guide :smile:

1 Like

thank you all for the tips. this will definitely help!!!

4 Likes

I saw this multiple times here but I think I’ll say it again. Don’t rapid fire- take your time and make sure your hero is different from any other hero in the game.

Also another side tip- try to make a theme for your concept. If you see my recent bolt concept, the theme was for bolt to keep enemies away from his allies and the skills reflected that. Concept making becomes much easier if you have a theme.

Also thank you for asking for help. I respect you a lot for doing this and wanting to do your best at concepts.

I am so sorry for the revive, since i know that they can be annoying, so i try not to do it. I was wondering if you guys could really look at my concepts i have so far and tell me ways i can improve. and if possible, future concepts as well. thanks!

PerBlue Entertainment | Terms of Use | Cookie Policy | © Disney