The Telltale Series Chapters 17-20

Welcome to Chapters 17-20. If you haven’t been following the story so far, click the link near the bottom to pay a visit to the archives. There’s summaries and links to the full chapters as well. Read whichever you prefer then come on back and participate! Follow Troy and his companions and make choices that alter the flow of events within the story.

Choices are posted once every 24 hours around this time, except Sundays and days I do other stuff early in the morning. I recommend putting the topic on watching cuz I make a reply about the next choice whenever I release it and that way you’ll get notified of it.

Without anymore of my rambling, let’s get into the next segment of the Telltale Series! :grin:

7 Likes

Chapter 17: Atlantis

Quaz: [85/100] :grin:

Jasmine: [95/100] :sunglasses:

Arthur: [70/100] :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Will: [50/100] :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Silver: [5/20] :raised_hand:

Attina: [20/20] :handshake:

Stats:

Experience (Level 4): [2200/4000]

Charisma: Unlocked
Manners: Unlocked
Agility: Locked
Cunning: Unlocked
Strength: Unlocked
Weapon Knowledge: Unlocked

Dueling: Unlocked
Hand to Hand: Locked
Heavy Weaponry: Locked

Discovered Kingdom skills:

Wizardry: Unlocked
Spiritual Assistance: Unlocked
Polymorphing: Locked
???: Locked

You’ve just swum up through a pool and now gaze upon the breath taking underground island paradise, Atlantis. Your mission is to steal, borrow, or trade to obtain some of their tech so you can gain admittance to the Tech Kingdom where you can find the fourth artifact.

You shake your head to clear your thoughts as a dozen Atlantians cross a bridge to meet you. The woman in front seems to be the leader. She Greets Ariel first then turns to the rest of you.

Atlantian Leader: Welcome, Ariel’s friends, to Atlantis!

She raises a crystal tied to a string around her neck and the water around you begins to glow. After another moment, you realize you have feet instead of fins again. The backpack on your shoulders is heavier now that it’s out of water and it’s hard to get a good angle to set it on the rim of the pool. You see one of the Atlantians coming over to help you with your burden.

• Let them take it sheepishly.
  • Set it on the rim and insist on carrying it (Requires Strength)
  • Thank them for carrying it for you. (Requires Manners)

0 voters

You offer a light smile as the Atlantian gently helps you out of the pack before heaving it onto his own. You pull yourself out of the water and thank him. He returns your gratitude with a light nod and a slight smile of his own.

+5 Atlantians Favor

+200 Experience
Experiene: [2400/4000]

Atlantian Leader: I am Kida. You will be our guests while you are here, but you cannot tarry long.

Kida leads the way towards the city and you and your companions follow amongst the contingent of Atlantians, all of whom eye you with child-like curiosity. Ariel is ahead of your group, chatting with Kida. She’s now wearing a sky blue dress, the hems just at her ankles.

You glance around furtively, looking for any of the technology. Just then something zooms overhead, shaped somewhat like a giant fish, though this is made out of metal and has the blue glow, not unlike the crystals glow, coming from places on it’s back sides. Silver notices them too and offers you a smirk when he sees your dumbfounded face.

Silver :raised_hand: : Those crystals have so much power, the little ones they wear around their necks can power those massive thrusters. Sure, the machines aren’t as fast as some of the ones in the tech kingdom, but imagine if they were applied to the tech there? It’d be so much faster.

You blink at the word he used. Thrusters. Strange new word, but it settles into your vocabulary quite easily. You slap Silver’s wrist when you see him attempting to steal a man’s crystal and shake your head with a sigh. You need to keep an eye on him or he’s going to get you into a heap of trouble.

• Distract him with a question about himself.
  • Distract him with a question about the natives.
  • Distract him with a question about the crystals.

0 voters

You: You know, I don’t know much about you. Tell me about yourself.

Silver retracts his hand again and looks over at you with a raised eyebrow.

Silver :raised_hand: : I’m a pirate. I prefer being a space pirate but… this is where the money’s at.

You: I meant more than that.

Silver :raised_hand: : Yah, I know… Well, I don’t know much about you either, so why don’t we trade?

You: Alright.

Silver :raised_hand: : First thing, John Silver isn’t my real name, it’s the dread pirate name. Real name is Jim. Jim Hawkins

The two of you catch up and you learn a bit more about him while keeping him from getting into trouble. Apparently he found a treasure on a planet but gave it up so he could roam space with another pirate, who upon dying, left Jim with his name. Despite being a famous pirate, he’s been generally unsuccessful in obtaining loot that he can sell. He wants to earn enough gol to rebuild his mom’s inn for her and that’s why he needs something from outside the kingdom he can sell.

+5 Silver Favor

Eventually, the two stop gabbing as Kida brings you into a throne room and most of the other Atlantians head off with the supplies.

Kida: So, what brings you to Atlantis?

• The beauty
  • The tech
  • The culture.

0 voters

You: Word has spread that you have technology that puts the rest of the world to shame, I wanted to see it for myself.

Kida: Feel free to look to your hearts content, but the tech and crystals do not leave our city. Is that clear?

You: Understood.

Kida nods before standing swiftly and speaking rapidly to the others in another language. Before long, the Atlantians have divided up, each one coming to stand next to your group.

Kida: These Atlantians will take you on a tour. You may go wherever you wish, I only ask that you stay with them.

You all nod and the Atlantians take you out of the room. As they lead on in front of you, your group comes closer and whispers to you.

Jasmine :sunglasses: : Okay, now what?

Will :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: : We can’t just grab it and go because we need those fins if we’re going to get out of here.

Silver :raised_hand: : Which means there’s only one thing we can do.

You nod. What is your best chance to get the tech?

Tutorial: You are about to perform a heist! Any strategy will work and awards loads of experience, but each will also cost you the favor of some people so be mindful of the decisions you make. Not being able to perform any of the heist options will cause you to lose experience and favor, afterall, you should have already earned enough experience to do one of these options at least.

• Explain your entire story and beseech them to part with the tech. (Requires Charisma, Dueling, and Strength.)
  • Create a distraction then take the important pieces of tech and smuggle them out. (Requires Cunning, Weapon Knowledge, and Hand to Hand)
  • Steal the tech and get a hostage to give you fins to escape. (Requires Agility, Manners, and Heavy Weaponry)
  • Hope someone else has a plan.

0 voters

You: We’re going to do this diplomatically, like we always have before. That’s the best chance we stand of accomplishing anything.

Jasmine :sunglasses: : Agreed. So far most of the people we’ve met have been very helpful to our cause once they learned what it was. I don’t see why this need be any different.

Silver :raised_hand: : Cause? What cause? Am I the only one who is clueless here?

Esmeralda: Yup. But that means you can hear it when we tell Kida.

Silver :raised_hand: : Oh no… are you guys a bunch of do-gooders?

Silver makes a gagging sound with his mouth, but Will rolls his eyes.

Will :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: : Actually, we’ve got more important reasons to do this. Troy, if you think this is our best shot, then I’ll go along. You haven’t led us wrong once… well, except for maybe that time when you–

Esmeralda: Let’s save the exaggerated story telling for later, shall we? We have work to do.

You plot out the plan with your group and then you split off for the tour. The first step requires you to gain the approval of the Atlantians by showing them you mean only the best. You all are on your best behavior, even Silver, for the duration of the tour as you learn how life has been for them and even try tasting some enormous looking shrimp-like delicacy. All in all, the Atlantians seemed pleased with you all.

Atlantians Favor +5

After the tour has ended, the Atlantians take you back to the throne room where Kida and Ariel are waiting for you.

Kida: You have returned! I trust you have had time to enjoy our wonderful cultural, my new friends?

You: We did indeed. Your culture is breathtaking. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Kida nods in agreement with you, a look of pride playing across her features before her neutral expression reforms.

Kida: I thank you for your kind words, but… now you must leave our fair city.

You: Before we go, Kida… I hope you will hear me out for this favor I ask of you.

Kida glances at the Atlantian guard then turns towards you, you wince as you see the grip on her spear tighten and the trust fade from her eyes.

Kida: You may ask, but it is my power whether or not I grant it.

You are tactful with your request, starting by explaining your story thus far, and driving home the points of sympathy. You include Jasmine’s deportation, and portray Will and Elizabeth as star crossed lovers who have been separated by this fiendish curse. Kida and her guards listen with rapt attention, and you are pleased with your story telling skills. Finally, by the end, you finish the story with your request.

You: And so, for us to complete our quest, we need to present a technology to the Tech Kingdom. We were hoping that was something you could provide.

Kida is silent for a very long moment, pondering.

+5 Atlantians Favor

The Atlantians are now your allies.

Kida: My people love you, outsiders. They think you are kind, and truly innocent.

Her eyes harden.

Kida: But not I. I remember all to well the last group of people who entered here with your friendliness. They ended it by attempting to burn down our city and steal our crystal.

You: We differ from them. We are not here to steal, that is why we have asked you for permission.

Kida waves a hand.

Kida: But if I refused? Hmm? You are determined to enter the Tech Kingdom. To that end, you need our technology. You ask, but only so you do not have to take.

Atlantian Soldier: Forgive me, my Queen, but these are people in need of help, as we were before they who dwell in the ocean helped us. Surely we can offer the same to these here?

The other Atlantians present nod in agreement with that Atlantian.

The Atlantians tried to persuade Kida to let you take their tech. The Atlantians have passed their favor test!

Kida subtly surveys the room, frowning at the agreement flooding throughout the chamber. Finally she sighs.

Kida: If my people wish to be so naive, then I can only comply with them. You may take our tech, but our crystals which power it will not leave Atlantis.

You sweep into a humble bow in agreement.

You: Deal, thank you.

Kida waves you away with a sigh and barks some orders to the guards who lead you from the room, and up a staircase to a room full of the machines. The guards remove a segment of paneling from one of the machines and you gape at the circuitry. Finally, they hand you a single piece from the machine.

Atlantian Guard: This is the crystal energy conversion conduit. It’s what makes are tech what it is.

Atlantian Soldier: At the same time, it will take another kingdom a long time to figure out how it works and how to use it.

Atlantian Engineer: In essence, it grants you access without granting the Tech Kingdom a thing.

You take the crystal energy conversion conduit and stow it in your pack. Before exiting the hall and reentering the throne room where Kida still sits.

Kida: Now that you have what you came here for. You may leave. Ariel has already left and awaits you at the pool.

Just then a guard runs in, out of breath.

Atlantian Guard: My queen! My crystal was stolen from around my neck!

He surveys your group before gesturing at Silver harshly.

Atlantian Guard: It was that man whom I saw!

Silver rolls his eyes but backs away.

Silver :raised_hand: : If I had stolen it… you wouldn’t even know it was me.

Kida: This is how you repay my kindness, I see? Then you will find yourselves in the same fate as the last group which came through here.

Kida stands up, spear gleaming in hand as she advances menacingly towards your group, a guard entourage alongside her.

-15 Atlantians Favor

Jasmine :sunglasses: : Silver, I’m gonna kick your butt myself if we get out of here.

Jasmine whipped out her daggers, Will ripped his saber from it’s sheathe.

Will :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: : If you steal something, you aren’t supposed to get caught till after you are already leaving, Silver. You’re a terrible pirate, and I don’t mean it in a good way.

Esmeralda stands near the back of the group, face pale and fists balled up uncomfortably. Right, she doesn’t fight. Esmeralda quickly reached a hand into a little bag tied around her waist and pulled it out before blowing it around your group.

Esmeralda: Let’s go!

You hear the clamor of voices and shouting, as well as see the faint glow of crystal as Kida and her soldiers charge through the pink fog now shrouding you all. You draw your blade and parry a strike as it comes through the fog, then turn on heal and run out the door. Jasmine parries one guards attack before sweeping him down with her other dagger, and Will trips the other guard before pushing him over the wall. Silver is in the lead, dodging attacks and countering with a fighting style you’ve never seen before. He easily disarms an Atlantian by poking them with two fingers in strategic locations. In between you all, Esmeralda jogs ahead, surveying all around her with great care.

One soldier yells and you whirl around to face him. You just manage to parry his spear, but he runs full force into you, landing on top of you and crushing you. He brings his hands to your neck and begins to squeeze. Your vision blackens at the edges until you feel his jaw beneath your hand. You pull back and punch, and he goes down. As your vision slowly returns you shove him off of you and dart to your feet, surging back towards the pool. An Atlantian is waiting there, eyes closed and gripping their crystal, the pool pulsing with the crystals magic. How fortunate that they are not paying attention to all the chaos.

Your companions must have already jumped into the water because they are nowhere to be seen. You leap in, forgetting to hold your breath, but you don’t need to anyways. You feet bind back together and suddenly you feel able to propel yourself faster than ever before. Esmeralda is waiting for you before she continues down the tunnel you first came through. You actually pulled this off in the end!

+1000 Experience
Experience: [3400/4000]

+15 Will Favor
+5 Jasmine Favor
-20 Attina Favor

You call out to everyone, including Ariel to wait. It takes a moment for everyone to process, but they have soon pulled up next to you.

Ariel: Why are we stopping?

Ariel asks this innocently, evidently oblivious to what went down.

• Rail on Silver for causing this trouble.
  • Say you just wanted to catch your breath.
  • Say you wanted to make sure everyone was here.

0 voters

You: We left in a hurry, I just want to be sure that everyone’s here.

Ariel: Oh, well…

She glances around at everyone.

Ariel: I’d say everyone is!

She grinned brightly as I surveyed the group. Silver was at the edge. He seemed to be pouting. While you’re thinking about it, he did come here for crystal. Not incorporating that into the plan is most likely why he had to steal one and cause the trouble. You sigh heavily. Bringing it up will accomplish precious little, so you don’t. You see Silver notice your gaze, brace for a lecture, and then relax slightly when you turn away.

You: Okay, everyone’s here. Let’s go on, shall we?

Ariel: Right this way!

Ariel grins cheerfully before swimming off again. Jasmine offers you a worried look, as if she knows what you are thinking about before swimming off after her. You and Silver are the only ones left, and he seems to be struggling to say something to you.

Silver :raised_hand: : Look, I’m… I didn’t…

You wave a hand through the water.

You: Let’s talk about it later.

Silver :raised_hand: : Oh… yes… uh… later is good.

And with that you swim after your companions, Silver following.

+5 Silver Favor

You swim back through the reefs and tunnels you did before, but your heart is full of dread and the bright colors swirling around you can’t take your mind off it, off what you’ve done.

After an agonizingly long trip, you make it back to Attina. She has her arms crossed and looks absolutely livid. You brace yourself for a lecture involving yelling, threats, and perhaps lightning, but it never comes. She stands their icily as Ariel swims off then turns to you all eyes narrowed.

Attina: I trust you found what you were looking for?

Her words come out between clenched teeth and you can’t help but notice her white knuckled grip on the trident.

You: We have succeeded in getting the tech, yes. I thank you for your help, Attina.

Attina sighs heavily.

Attina: Relations with the Atlantians are rocky now, but it is not something they will not get over… I refuse to hand you all over to them, your mission is too great and you weren’t all responsible.

You nod in thanks but she sweeps her gaze over you all before pointing at Silver, eyes firey.

Attina: However, I see no reason why I cannot return the perpetrator to them. It would go a great deal to absolve these rocky relations with them and make them feel more justified.

Silver’s eyes widen and his breath quickens as he eyes all around him, seeming to look for a means of escape.

Silver :raised_hand: : Who me? Oh, no no! I’m not going back to Atlantis!

Attina: I didn’t ask what you wanted.

Attina raises her trident and you know in another moment it’ll be too late. You’d have to interject now, but should you? Silver has already been of use, and he might be again in the tech kingdom, but going in with a known criminal also might make things more difficult, not less.

Silver :raised_hand: : I uh… no!

Silver turns to you, pleadingly.

• Tell Attina Silver is vital to your quest.
  • Stay silent.

0 voters

You: Attina… we need Silver with us. We’ve never been in the Tech Kingdom before and he’d make an excellent guide throughout it.

Jasmine :sunglasses: : Plus, who would drive his sub there if not him?

Silver :raised_hand: : Ah, yes, See? I am needed by these people? Surely you wouldn’t prevent them from completing their quest?

Attina sighed heavily

Attina: …Ugh. All right. I will allow you to take him back with you, but I want that crystal returned.

Attina held out her hand. Silver seemed about to refuse, then sighed and closed his eyes as he put a hand into one of his pockets and pulled out the crystal necklace and handed it to Attina. Attina gripped it tightly in her hand then whirled around to a nearby Merman and whispered something to him. He nodded as she deposited the crystal in his hand and he took off.

Attina: Alright, get out of here. If I ever see you in my waters again, Silver, I’ll ship you straight to the Atlantians. Clear?

Silver paused, a bemused smile on his face.

Silver :raised_hand: : Crystal.

And with that, she raised the trident and everyone’s fins evaporated as you were deposited on dry land by the sub where Quaz and Arthur awaited you.

Arthur :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: : You’re back!

Quaz :grin: : Ah, Master Troy, you are looking well.

Jasmine :sunglasses: : Atlantis was breat taking, you guys really missed out!

Arthur :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: : I don’t know, while you were gone, I was practicing doing whatever it was I did while we were in te animal kingdom, and I did it again! I don’t know what kind it is… I guess it’s magic, and it seems to be all I can do, but it’s so cool!

Will :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: : Who’d have thought the little kid would have the magic. Huh.

Esmeralda: Let’s not waste anymore time, we have to keep moving.

Quaz :grin: : Ah, so you got what you went there for?

You: Yup, all good to go!

Meanwhile, Silver has already boarded his submarine.

Silver :raised_hand: : All aboard getting out of here, climb on in!

Everyone quickly shuffles inside, but Silver stops you by the door.

Silver :raised_hand: : Troy… thanks for getting me out of that… I didn’t…

He closes his eyes and shakes his head, then opens them again and shuffles away.

+10 Silver Favor

Silver is now your ally!

With Silver piloting, you soon surface near the gate again. You all hop out and you take the engine part out of your pack. It’s still warm to the touch. Something in it must prevent it from getting wet. Interesting.

Robot Guard: None may enter the Tech Kingdom unless they bring a new tech.

You: But we have a new tech. A part of an engine from Atlantis!

Robot Guard: Brrrt Atlantis?

You nod.

Robot Guard: Entrance we grant to all in your party!

The gates open and you all finally enter. Inside, several technicians await you. As soon as you hand over the part to them, they inspect it before nodding to several robots. The robots step forward, and grab you each by your arms.

You: Hey! Let go!

Robot Guard: You will be simulated. Your knowledge will be ours!

Jasmine :sunglasses: : Silver, what the heck is this?

Silver :handshake: : I don’t know! This has never happened before, I swear!

Quaz let’s out a screech as one robot tries to pin him and he tears off the robot’s arm before batting it over the head with it. It goes down, screeching. Meanwhile, Arthur concentrates and a burst of light discharges from his fingertips before slamming into the guard on him and sending them flying.

Arthur :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: : Don’t even think about tieing me up again!

Arthur draws Excalibur from it’s sheathe and slashes it into the circuitry of the robot holding Will causing them to go limp.

Will :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: : Woah, nice one, Arthur!

Will whips around and parries the attack of another robot with his saber while Quaz frees Jasmine. You observe all of this as the guard pinning you painfully lifts you off your feet, now carrying you solely by your arms. You feel your bones creaking as he carts you down a hall, Silver next to you. Esmeralda is back with your other friends, obviously being freed. You hear Jasmine call after you before a metal door slides down, blocking them from you. The robot throws you into a white room and you land painfully on one of your arms, screaming out as you hear it crack beneath you.

Silver is no where to be seen and you gape around the room as you adjust your position, cradling your broken arm and scooching to a corner of the room. The silence is complete except for a faint hum coming from the walls. You can’t help but call out.

You: Quaz? Jasmine? Will? Arthur? Silver? … anyone? Someone… help… help me!

You stammer weakly, but there is no response to your pleas…

Chapter Complete

Jasmine: [100/100] :sunglasses:

Will: [65/100] :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Silver: [20/20] :handshake:

3 Likes

Chapter 18: Simulations

Stats:

Experience (Level 4): [3400/4000]

Hand to Hand: Locked

How much time has passed? Minutes? Hours? Days? Weeks? How could you know? You close your eyes again and shift in your position, now curled up in the middle of the floor as you listen to the hum coming from beneath you.

Hummmmmmmmm

After being thrown in this cell, there is precious little you see besides the white walls, white floors, and white ceiling. You are brought food from time to time, and you force yourself to eat it, force yourself to stay alive and await the day you are freed.

Hummmmmmmmm

But will that day ever come? Suddenly a wave of nausea washes over you and your grimace. Here’s another one. The door is punched in rapidly, and then it goes flying off. Quaz stands on the otherside, next to Jasmine.

Quaz ? : Master Troy! We’ve found you!

Jasmine ? : Troy! Let’s get you out of here!

You roll your eyes but sit up anyways, unwilling to risk it not being fake. That’s what it always is… a fake rescue, and everytime you get your hopes up, they get dashed as you realize that it is entirely fake.

Hummmmmmmmm

Jasmine helps pull you to your feet and gently puts your unijured arm around her shoulder before helping you exit, Quaz in front guarding you. You frown lightly. Last time, Jasmine completely disregarded your injured arm and lifted you up by it. This is the farthest you’ve ever gotten… it seems they are getting better at appearing like your friends. The first time they got your name wrong.

Quaz darts down the hall and slams into a robot as it rounds the corner. Just in front of him, Will is blasting a robot down with some sort of tech gun. Arthur and Esmeralda are leading Silver towards your group from down another hallway, each expressing some delight to see you alive and well.

A robot charges Silver from behind and Esmeralda darts forward before sweeping into a high kick and knocking it’s head clean off it’s shoulders. Arthur whirls around and magic pulses from his finger tips sending the still moving corpse flying.

Arthur ? : Let’s get out of here!

Esmeralda: We have another 2 minutes before the security protocols activate.

Silver ? : Thanks for… coming back for me…

Arthur ? : We don’t leave any member of our group behind!

You continue down the hall as several more robots charge toward you, but Will effortlessly keeps them at bay, each blast from his gun frying the circuits of a different robot. You are almost outside when you sigh.

Jasmine ? : We’re almost out of here, Troy, hang in there.

You shake your head.

You: No, we’re not… I never even left the room… this is just another simulation.

Jasmine ? : Another what? What are you talking about?

You: At least you are ignorant this time…

You grimace sadly, that’s how you got them last time… they knew about the simulations and then got flustered when you asked how they knew… but this time, it’s obvious.

• Will can’t aim that well.
  • Esmeralda can’t fight.
  • Quaz isn’t that strong.

0 voters

You sigh deeply

You: Esmeralda cannot fight. It’s been a recurring theme for her… I’d be surprised to learn that she can now, all of the sudden.

Esmeralda does the tell tale fluster you have now gotten used to pinpointing and that’s all it takes for you to be certain.

Esmeralda: Well, I… took lessons while you were… um… captured?

The simulation around you shatters and there you are, back on the floor of your prison cell, listening to the humming all around you.

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm

+400 Experience
Experience: [3800/4000]

You sit up, cradingly your arm which has now swollen up and is painful to the touch. You hiss in pain as you scooch to the wall, and lean against its cold surface. As per usual, after the simulation comes your meal-- and only chance to speak to another human.

Sure enough, you hear the pattering of feet and the door opens up to about half you height and a little girl walks in wearing a red dress with white leaves. Last time she came in she wore blue. Huh. The little girl is carrying a plate with a sandwich on it, and you can’t help but wonder what it is today.

Lilo: I made you a tuna sandwich today… I hope you like it.

Lilo, that’s the girl’s name and that’s all she’d tell you, slowly brings the plate over to you taking careful steps and looking over her shoulders every now and again. The first time she came in, you tried to escape, and that’s how you know there’s there robots out there tazers trained on you.

• Thank Lilo for the food.
  • Say nothing

0 voters

As you have been doing since you realized escape was not an option, you’ve been doing your best to make friends with the little girl, though she makes it difficult.

You: I’m sure it will be fine, thank you, Lilo.

Lilo sighs lightly before turning away awkwardly and shuffling on her foot a little. She takes another step toward you, hesitates, then takes the remaining steps to set the plate in your lap and whisper to you, without even crouching.

Lilo: Your friends… they are going to come for you soon.

You gape at her and she scurries back several feet as if she’s afraid you’ll bite her instead of the tuna sandwich, but her curiosity gets the better of her and she turns around to stare at you again, tilting her head to the side and raising an eyebrow.

Lilo: Are your friends really heroes?

You can’t help but smile lightly at her question.

You: Yup, we’re gonna fix the world.

Lilo: I didn’t even know the world was broken. If you’re friends are heroes, what does that make you?

You: Well, I suppose it’d make me a hero too.

You wince slightly as you raise your good hand to your temple and tap it.

Lilo: Huh. Well, I hope when you fix what’s broken, Mommy and Daddy come back.

???: Lilo! Come on!

You hear a voice call. Lilo looks in the direction of the door then back to you.

Lilo: I’d better go.

And with that she scurries back out of the room and the door slams shut again. You sigh as you take a bright of the sandwich. The bread is dry and the tuna is old, but you scarve it down anyways. You grimace when you realize Lilo did not bring you water… maybe she forgot… or wasn’t supposed to.

Hummmmmmmmmm

Suddenly you hear shouting in the halls and you instantly perk up, that’s something you’ve never heard before. The door slides open and a black haired teen of about thirteen appears in the doorway, weariing a strange headband around his head.

???: Hey, you’re Troy right? I’m Hiro, let’s get outta here!

Hiro pauses upon noticing your injured arm then raises his hand. A huge ball of metal melts before roiling towards you like the rapids in a river. As it gets closer, you notice that it’s not a wave, but tiny little cylinder shaped creatures each one rolling towards you and apparently obeying the commands of Hiro. They slide underneath you and lift you up with surprising strength. You wince at the ones that touch your broken arms, but they carry you swiftly through the open door and down the hall where you encounter the rest of your friends waiting, Quaz helping to carry Silver out of an adjacent room. Esmeralda is watching all directions a hand raised to her head. A robot darts around a corner and you see Jasmine leap into action, jabbing it with her daggers and slamming it to the ground. She offers you a grin.

Jasmine ? : Troy! We’ve come back for you!

Will rounds a corner, blasting his laser gun at the hallway he was coming from. He offers you a grin.

Will ? : And we found a friend, Hiro Hamada of the resistance!

Hiro: Less talking, more escaping!

Esmeralda: Arthur’s waiting outside, he says there’s more robots on their way, he and the other members of the resistance are attempting to stall.

You: We need to get Lilo out of here too.

The members of your group eye you quizzically.

Jasmine ? : Who?

Silver ? : Servant girl, brought food.

Esmeralda raises bother hands to her temples and closes her eyes before facing one hallway.

Esmeralda: I can’t sense anyone else in here, and we don’t have schematics for the lower levels, we need to leave now.

Hiro: Sorry, Troy, we’re here for you and Silver and we’re behind schedule as it is. We can get her later.

With that, the group heads down the halls. Hiro’s tiny robots retrieve Will, freeing Quaz from his burden and allowing him to leap ahead to fight the next wave of robots with Will. After a few seconds you burst into the street where you see Arthur blasting lights from his fingertips that shred through the robots a distance away.

Arthur ? : Troy, after all this time… I thought we’d never get out… I’m glad we got you.

You gape at Arthur whose voice has now become deeper as if he’s gone through puberty while you were within.

You: How long has it been?

Hiro: Two years.

You: Two years?

You rub your temples at Hiro’s nod… but… you don’t agree. Something about this whole thing seems off to you. That time could have passed during which Esmeralda gained her new found abilities and maybe all those simulations have made you lose your ability to trust, but… but…

• Esmeralda’s not telepathic.
  • Arthur can’t do that with his magic.
  • This is the real deal.

0 voters

This… this must be real. Tears well in your eyes at the thought.

You: This is real, isn’t it?

Hiro spins to face you again, and raises an eyebrow.

Hiro: Of course it’s real, why wouldn’t it be real?

Esmeralda: Come on, Troy, we need to keep moving!

With Jasmine’s help the group leads you away from your prison. They lead you down several aimless streets before finally stopping to catch their breath in an alley.

Jasmine :sunglasses: : Whew, I think we got away from them.

Hiro: Now we just need to stall while Troy gets to the secret entrance to our lab.

You: Secret entrance? Why do I have to go by myself.

Quaz :grin: : We have more work to do, Master Troy.

Will :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: : You’ve been there before, you’ll be fine, and you can take Silver with you as well.

You gape at your companions… and the color drains from your face. The resistance… Hiro is from the resistance… of course, and whomever is doing these experiments thinks you are of it too, and they want to uncover the location of their base. Your heart sinks, this is not real.

You: Esmeralda… you aren’t a telepath… never been, never will be…

You decide to keep the information of not knowing about the resistance to yourself for the moment, best not to risk them thinking you don’t know anything.

Esmeralda: Of course I am, why would I be in your party if I couldn’t fight or use telepathy? I’d be useless then, and there’s no place for uselessness.

You blink at Esmeralda, suddenly feeling sick to your stomach. The concerned faces all around you meld, make shift grins pop on their faces as their skin fades to the black of shadows and their eyes glow bright red. There’s the sound of laughter, as if it’s a big joke on how well they deceived you.

Of course, wouldn’t Hiro know about the simulations if he’s part of the resistance? His ignorance also goes to show how wrong you were. None of this is right.

Suddenly you here the sound of glass cracking. You look up to see the whole world shatter into tiny pieces, replaced by a sullen black void. You here voices conversing all around you.

Voice 1: How come he can figure everything out?

Voice 2: He’s a clever one, we need to do better.

Voice 3: Our next attempt needs to be flawless or else we’ll never get it to work.

Voice 1: We’ll be fine as long as his belief is shattered

Voice 2: After how this one ended up, I think that’s all covered!

You cover your ears at their maniacal laughter and soon sucuumb to the void.

Time flies again. Lilo doesn’t even bring you food, everything’s a blur of simulations, each more clever than the last but missing something, and everytime you figure out what it is, the next simulation has that something fixed.

A hand pokes your arm and you open your eyes and swipe out with your uninjured arm smacking across someone’s cheek. Will grunts.

Will ? : Ow! Hey! What’d you do that for, Troy? We come all this way to rescue you, and that’s the thanks we get?

You open your eyes, but all you see is blurry shapes. You scoot back away, as they come closer. You cry out.

You: No! No! Leave me alone! Go away! I’m not playing your games anymore!

This is hardly the first time they’ve had Will rescue you in such a way, and with all your help, they’ve nailed Will’s personality to a T.

Jasmine ? : Oh, Troy… what have they done to you?

Quaz ? : Must be those simulations Hiro was talking about…

Esmeralda: Can we… knock him out and just go?

Arthur ? : I don’t know if that’s a good idea, honestly…

You: Leave me… alone! Go away! I don’t want you here, just let me… just let me…

Your lower lip quivers and you can’t finish your thought. Your vision has cleared enough for you to see their faces, and your heart aches. You are so tired of seeing doubles. You squeeze your eyes closed again as they continue talking.

Jasmine ? : Troy, it’s us, come on.

Troy: No! Stop it! I don’t know anything! Okay? I don’t know anything about the resistance or where they are located, or any of it! Just go, okay?

You hear silence… guess it worked, simulations over and they’ll kill you or torture you some other way.

Quaz ? : Master Troy, it’s me Quaz. You had me work as your servant so that I’d be safe from being killed, we’ve left Agrabah with the true heir to the Agrabah throne, Princess Jasmine and–

You: Give it a rest! You’ve used that on me before! I don’t know anything… why are you doing this to me?

You feel a pair of arms wrap around you, carefully minding your injured arm. You can’t help yourself, you reach in and hug back. Tears roll down your cheeks and you wince painfully.

Esmeralda: Troy, it’s us, it really is us this time. Let us take you out of here.

• Esmeralda would never hug you.
  • Arthur wouldn’t be against knocking you out.
  • Quaz wouldn’t try to tell you all that information.
  • Will wouldn’t care that he was slapped.
  • There’s no guards.
  • They didn’t get Silver.
  • This is real.

0 voters

You: Give it a rest, this isn’t real! Quaz would never… never tell me all that to try to convince me.

Quaz ? : Why wouldn’t I, Master Troy?

You: Because you aren’t you.

Quaz raises an eyebrow in confusion, but you just wait for the simulation to break… and you wait…

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Your eyes shoot open as you hear the floor beneath you, thhe one ting you’'d never heard in a simulation. You gape around at your companions. This is real, they really are here!

You: You guys… you guys are actually here… aren’t you?

Jasmine :sunglasses: : We are, Troy. Let’s get out of here!

You let Jasmine pull you up and you slowly make your way down the corridor, the robots are all collapsed on the floor.

Will :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: : We disabled all of the robots by taking down the control center, makes for an easy escape.

You: What about Silver?

Esmeralda: Silver? …We were planning on leaving that slime ball since he made all this happen.

You: He was just as oblivious as we were… we need to get him too.

Jasmine :sunglasses: Okay, we can do that.

Everyone heads down another hallway and you take another turn before you find te cell Silver is in. Silver is curled up in a ball in the center of the room and you realize they have been torturing him the same way they have been torturing you.

Silver looks up when you enter, then rolls his eyes.

Silver :handshake: : Ah, coming to bust me out, eh? Never had that happen before… don’t you ever get tired of this? Cuz I got tired of it long ago.

Arthur :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: : How should we convince him, Troy?

You stare at Silver and he stares back.

• Describe what happened to you.
  • Offer to leave without him.
  • Just knock him out and take him with you.

0 voters

You: Silver, I know what happened to you.

Silver looks up at you with doubt gleaming in his eyes.

Silver :handshake: : Oh? Do tell.

You: You’ve been put through simulations that tried to trick you for information, maybe they succeeded in getting everything you know, but after that, they just kept putting you through them for no apparent reason.

Silver’s face fell.

You: And after you’ve got your hope up so many times, it’s impossible to believe in anything anymore. It’s impossible to actually reach out and think that this time, you actually are being rescued.

You hold out your hand.

You: But that’s what they’ve been striving for. To make you give up on believing. Let’s get out of here.

Silver stares at your hand for a long moment. Just as you think it didn’t work, he takes your hand and let’s you pull him up.

Silver :handshake: : Well, if there’s one thing these dang robots can’t do, it’s make a good pep talk, and if they’ve gotten this good at it, then I’m so done anyways.

Your moral compass helped you to persuade Silver to leave his cell.

+200 Experience
Experience: [4000/4000]

Level Up!

Tutorial: Choose a new skill to unlock.

• Agility
  • Hand to Hand
  • Heavy Weaponry

0 voters

Hand to Hand Combat Unlocked!

Silver takes your hand and you pull him up awkwardly before Quaz rushes in to help him. Your group winds back through the halls and Silver kicks a couple of the deactivated robots for good measure. Finally you exit through a massive gate and exit onto a dark asphalt street where your breath catches in your throat. In front of you is a robot army that stretched down the street as far as your eyes can see.

Silver :handshake: : So… this is new… what was the plan to get past all these again?

Jasmine :sunglasses: : … Go down fighting, I guess?

Silver :handshake: : I’m… starting to prefer those simulations.

You: Well I’m not.

You ball your good hand into a fist. This beats a fake reality ten to one, even if it looks so grim.

Chapter Complete

1 Like

Chapter 19: Resistance

Stats:

Experience (Level 5): [0/8000]

Hand to Hand: Unlocked

You stand just outside the prison you were initially being held in where you went through repeated simulations. As of now, however, you’ve been freed, but perhaps not for long because standing between you and any hope of freedom, is an army of robots.

Silver :handshake: : So the secret of those simulations is to figure out what someone does that doesn’t fit with what you know of them. As soon as you figure that out, the simulation ends. Course then a better one will appear, but you know how it is–

Jasmine :sunglasses: : Shut up, Silver. We’re not going to be captured.

Silver :handshake: : Oh… do you have a… friend with a big EMP coming? Cuz if so, now would be a good time.

Silver is interrupted by the sound of high heels clacking against the pavement. As the sound gets closer, the robots part to reveal a tall woman in a blue suit and skirt and heels to match. Her hair is so blonde, it’s silver, and her eyes have no warmth, only a cold hardness that compliment the merciless air about herself.

Boss Lady: Hello Troy, and friends. I don’t believe you’ve had an official welcome to the Tech Kingdom.

The woman raises a hand, her other hand gripping a device the size of a thin book with a glowing screen.

Boss Lady: Unfortunately, Troy, this is the best glimpse of it you are going to get. You see, you are a prime specimen. The best to ever do in the simulations. With all of the information we’ve gathered from you, our AI program has improved dramatically, and we still have so much more we’d like to learn from you.

Quaz :grin: : Well that’s too bad, you’ll have to find someone else.

Arthur :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: : Troy is leaving with us.

Jasmine :sunglasses: : Just try to take him, we’ll leave you in tatters.

Esmeralda: We’ve gone to great lengths to free him and Silver, neither are going back in your care.

The woman seems to completely ignore all of their statements, except for rolling her eyes.

Boss Lady: Troy, you hear that? Your friends are willing to die to save you. Now to be honest, I couldn’t care less about this Silver. We’ve learned all we will from him. Which is why, I’m offering you the chance to see all of your friends be giving official citizenship and with full rights. In exchange, you’ll stay and be our lab rat.

Jasmine :sunglasses: : Oh, please, like he’d do that-- Ech!

A robot shoots a taser which slams into Jasmine, shocking her.

Boss Lady: I wasn’t talking to you.

Her steely gaze turns away from Jasmine and back to you.

Boss Lady: Well, Troy?

• Accept her deal.
  • Refuse her deal.

0 voters

You gather your strength, your throat is still raw and your arm pulses with pain in time with each of your heartbeat.

You: If I had to make the choice between something like this, it would be hard, but as it stands, It’s an easy choice. I will never help you in such a way.

+Jasmine Favor Max

+5 Quaz Favor

Quaz will now follow you to the ends of the earth.

+5 Arthur Favor

Arthur is now Loyal

+5 Will Favor

Boss Lady: Well, if you wont do it willingly, you’ll do it unwillingly. So really, you don’t win either way.

The woman taps the glowing device in her hand and the robots gear up to attack. Lasers zap out, shooting straight for you, and then, they… seem to be absorbed into something surrounding you. You glance over to see Arthur has his hands raised, a magical ward emanating from them. For just a moment, you fear that this is all a simulation, then Arthur offers you a grin.

Arthur :grin: : I’ve been practicing magic!

Will :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: : He’s gotten really good at it too.

Esmeralda helps Jasmine to her feet, who groans groggily.

Quaz :sunglasses: : Alright, Arthur, get ready.

You clench your good fist readying yourself as well.

• Help power Arthur’s ward. (Requires Wizardry)
  • Have the spirits cause an earthquake. (Requires Spiritual Assistance)
  • Transform into your beast and rampage. (Requires Polymorphing)

0 voters

Despite all you’ve been through, when you close your eyes you can feel the comforting presence of the spirits all around you. As if welcoming you back from your prison, they swarm to your command.

The ground trembles beneath the robots and they soon are careening into each other. The woman struggles you maintain her balance for a moment, and amidst flailing her arms about, drops her device to the ground with a smack. Even as the ground shakes around her, she drops to her knees to retrieve the device, meanwhile your friends gape at you.

Jasmine :sunglasses: : Well, that makes are job easier.

Will :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: : I’m staying off your bad side.

+10 Will Favor

Will is now Loyal

+800 Experience

Experience: [800/8000]

The woman taps in specific locations on the screen of her device and the robots quickly rigght themselves, now propelling by jetpacks. By this time, however, your friends have already taken advantage of the chaos. Jasmine whips over and around, daggers sending sparks flying where she does not cut wires. Wherever Quaz goes, shattered parts of the robots follow him. Will takes his time, slashing with practiced ease with his Saber as laser blasts shoot through him with no effect. Esmeralda is supporting you while Arthur keeps the ward up as several robots bombard his barrier. You can tell it is straining him.

Despite your initial momentum, you can’t possibly win due to the sheer number of enemies. The woman has retreated and her fingers fly over the device’s screen, issuing orders on what to do. The robots regroup and drive your friends back towards you once again. That’s when you here a voice through some static.

Staticky Voice: CRSSHHT Troy, use TCHRT take down SHCRRT will beat GRRTTTT army.

At the same time, you see a targetting system appear before your eye. As you focus on something, the target seems to adjust as if to aim for that something. Whatever this thing is, it’s from this person, and they want you to target something, but what?

Staticky Voice: BRRRRRT You got one CHRSSSSSSHTT ,Troy.

What will you aim for?

• The woman
  • The device in the woman’s hand
  • The closest of the robots

0 voters

You focus on the device and the targetting system closes in. All at once you here something shoot from over your head and slam into the device, knocking the woman to the ground. The woman cries out as the device evaporates into thin air. The robots all around begin spasming out as the woman pulls herself to her feet and pulls a small device from her pocket, opens it up, and places it against her ear. She seems to be speaking into the other end, but you can’t make out what she’s saying.

A young man grapples down the building alongside two others. You recognize the young man from the simulations, that’s Hiro Hamada. The other two, however, you do not recognize. One is wearing golden and black plate armor and tosses a disk at a robot, which easily slashes the robot open. The other one is a huge black man with strange swords emitting from his arms. A laser fires and he raises up one of the swords, easily blocking the attack before countering with his own, slashing through the robot’s metal like butter.

Hiro :raised_hand: : Nice work, Troy. You’ve got a good head on your shoulders.

+10 Hiro Favor

Your companions charge back over to you as the man with the laser swords retracts his swords into the armor he is wearing and offers you a hand. You take it and he gently pulls you to the top of the building. The rest of your friends soon join you. You catch the woman from before glaring up at you angrily.

Hiro :raised_hand: : We need to go before Mirage gets the robots working again.

Jasmine :sunglasses: : Don’t have to tell us twice!

Arthur :grin: : We’re coming!

Hiro leads your group over the rooftops, which have planks placed between them. As you advance, the blackman from before retrieves them and sets them on the rooftop. You continue on like this further until you reach a fire escape which Hiro leads you down. At the bottom, you stand in an alley. Hiro presses several bricks in and the whole wall moves aside to reveal a secret entrance.

Will :grin: : I should get one of these for my pirate ship.

Silver :handshake: : Eh, you seen one, you’ve seen them all.

You: So this is what they wanted to know in those simulations. The location of the resistance lair.

Yellow Armored Lady: You ain’t gonna tell anyone about it, right?

• Depends on if I get captured again or not.
  • I’ll tell everyone I meet that doesn’t try to kill me straight away.
  • No, ma’am.

0 voters

You: No ma’am.

Yellow Armored Lady: No ma’am, huh? I like that. You keep acting like that and we’ll get along.

With that, you all enter the darkness. It stretches for more or less ten minutes before light gradually seeps into the tunnel. As you get nearer, you see a high tech web of wires and screens running all over the place with narrow walkways in between them all. Hiro carefully leads you through that area and finally into another one more cleaned off, though this looked like a hospital.

Yellow Armored Lady: Honey Lemon, we need medical supplies, we’ve got Troy out!

A woman darts out of a hallway lugging a big red box with a white cross on it behind her.

Honey Lemon: Okay, let me take a look.

You hiss as she prods your arm once before her eyes widen.

Honey Lemon: Okay, Wasabi, Go Go, help him onto the table.

Your till now nameless rescuers help you on to a cold table made of metal while Honey Lemon begins to bandage your arm rather sloppily.

Go Go: Hey, my grandma could do a better job than that.

You groan as Honey Lemon ties the cast around your arm and you feel it slide back into place.

Honey Lemon: Well, that’s to be expected when you ask a chemist to do the job of a pre med!

You wince again and blink as purple and yellow spot dot within your vision.

Somebody??: Troy? Troy!

Somebody else: He’s falling asleep! Is it a coma?

Yet another someone: Maybe coma, but it’d be a concussion.

Somebody else: Well help him!

Somebody??: I’m, I’m trying!

Yet another someone: Well, try harder.

???: ToO lAtE

You open your eyes to a void all about you, except for a desk, at which Mirage sits.

Mirage: Hello again, Troy.

You: No. No. No!

Mirage: We implanted a chip into you. You can’t escape us no matter where you go.

• Ask what she wants.
  • Attempt to run away.
  • Attack her.

0 voters

You fold your arms to hide the trembling and force down your immediate fears.

You: What do you want from me.

Mirage: Good on you for not trying anything. Obviously you can’t escape and attacking a message wouldn’t hurt me in the slightest.

+200 Experience

Experience: [1000/8000]

Mirage cocked her head to the side and raised an eyebrow.

Mirage: I would think that is obvious, hmm? We want you back, and while we’re at it, we want the entire resistance too.

You: Not going to happen. Ever.

Mirage: Troy, Troy, Troy…

Mirage sighs, shaking her head sympathetically as if you are the stupidest person in the world.

Mirage: How can you expect to complete your business here? We have an artifact which you need, and we won’t give it up easily.

You: You-- uh–

Mirage: Unless, you work with us till we’ve completed our AI program of couse, and lure at least the leader of the resistance to us. Then we’ll part with the artifact let you go on your way, and even help you in retrieving the final artifact you need.

You: No way I’m gonn–

Mirage waved her hand.

Mirage :raised_hand: : I have no interest in a response. Think about it carefully. We will get you anyways, you just get to dictate whether we are an ally or an enemy, and we’d much rather be allies.

Mirage stands up and begins walking away, the sound of her heels echoing throughout the void.

Gradually, the void fades away and your senses fall away before returning to you. You’re still lying on the table, but someone is speaking. You grunt and sit up using your good arm to see a tiny plastic cowboy speaking to the group around you.

Jasmine :sunglasses: : Troy! You’re awake!

You: Am I? I’m not used to seeing toys walking around alive… This is another simulation, isn’t it?

Cowboy Toy: Well actually, no, I’m Woody, pleased to meet you, partner.

You: Uh…

Hiro :raised_hand: : Woody’s one of our spies. He was just telling us his report. I’m glad you’re okay now.

• Tell everyone what happened.
  • Just tell your group later.
  • Keep it to yourself for now and think about it.

0 voters

You: It’s not just that. I was… Mirage made me a deal.

Hiro:raised_hand: : A deal? While you were knocked out? Uh…

Go Go: Look kid, you’ve been put through a painful amount of simulations, obviously you’re having a nightmare.

You: No, I didn’t. She said she put a chip in me so she could keep track of me. She wants me to help trap you guys, and help her finish the AI program and then she’ll give us the artifact we need for our quest.

Esmeralda: Wow, that’s quite the reward.

Go Go: I told you we shouldn’t have gotten involved, Hiro.

Hiro: No, it’s fine, since he told us this, we know what to expect.

+10 Hiro Favor

Hiro now likes you

Hiro :+1: : Honey Lemon, does Troy have a chip in him?

Honey Lemon steps forward, holding dark papers with white fading out to the black around it.

Honey Lemon: Not that I can see on his x-rays. Of course it wouldn’t necessarily show up on them… I think.

Wasabi: If they have a chip that they can implant then… wow, that’s getting scary.

Go Go rolled her eyes and blew a bubble with her gum before glancing away.

Woody: …I haven’t seen anything about chips as of yet though, which I do find strange.

Hiro: Oh really? Hmm.

You can feel the doubt Hiro is arching towards you now, but do you care?

• Insist that you weren’t having a nightmare.
  • Point out that there is no harm in being cautious.
  • Play it off as a nightmare.

0 voters

You: It can’t hurt to be cautious about it though.

Hiro :+1: : Yes, it can. We take risks Everytime we do something, and if we’re too cautious, our risks aren’t being properly accounted for.

Honey Lemon: It’s not like we don’t want to believe you, Troy, but these simulations get in your head, and we’re just not sure if you still are fully in control of your own.

You stiffen at this remark, simultaneously questioning the world around you, and your own sanity until…

Silver :handshake: : Troy’s not lying. I was put through simulations too, but I didn’t pass out on a table for a strange amount of time then wake up with a message. I don’t know If I have a chip, but things happening to him are happening to only him, and you had better trust his word because Troy doesn’t lie or make mistakes about anything.

Silver backed you up, Silver has passed his favor test!

Hiro gazes silently from you to Silver than sweeps his gaze around the room.

Hiro :+1: : Okay, Troy, let’s work off the theory that you’re not delusional. We know you need an artifact from Mirage, and that she wanted to give it to you in exchange for us.

+10 Hiro Favor

Hiro :+1: : So, let’s take advantage of that to get into the base.

Go Go: Hiro, I don’t like where you’re going with this, you’re riding alot on them being right.

Honey Lemon: Actually, he’s right. We need an advantage and we need a way in. Maintaining the status quo won’t let us win in the end.

Hiro :+1: : Woody, we need plans for the main HQ and the location of that artifact.

Wasabi: What’s the play here??

Hiro :+1: : Troy takes me as a prisoner, and I help you all get in. If Mirage gives the artifact to him, that’s the easy part. If she doesn’t, we’re gonna take it from her.

Honey Lemon adjusts her glasses

Honey Lemon: You want to ride everything on this artifact? That seems like an unlikely option.

Hiro :+1: : Let’s not kid ourselves into thinking we had a shot at this sooner. This is the best shot we’ve got to work with. If Troy can restore the world’s, there’s no way we won’t be in this mess.

Go Go: This is a terrible idea! When did we start preparing to play the sacrificial card!?

Honey Lemon: Go Go… Remember what it used to be like before? We were at the top. We were care free and innocent… We still had Fred…

Go Go’s face fell at the mention of this person.

Honey Lemon: If we have a chance to restore that then… I think we should.

Go Go: …I hate it when you’re right. Fine, I’m onboard with this sacrificial plan.

• Thank them
  • Tell them you can do it yourself
  • Start planning

0 voters

You: Thank you guys for helping us…with everything really.

Go Go: Stop it now, you cheesy being.

Wasabi: You’re welcome, Troy.

Honey Lemon: Thank you for getting this far, thanks to all your efforts we might actually have a way out of this.

Hiro :+1: : You can be thankful we believe you, but don’t be too sure that this is going to work out, yet. There’s still a lot we need to do for this to work, but since it is our risk, we’ll be doing the plan.

+5 Hiro Favor

The group began buzzing around calling out to each other different ideas and strategies.

Honey Lemon: We’ll have to be careful about revealing anything, but we also need to be able to take Mirage by surprise in the end.

Go Go: Let’s bring out the Parr kids? They should be able to avoid detection for till we need them and both of them have strengths of value for this sort of mission.

Hiro :+1: : Good idea, Go Go. Woody, get a message to Mode on the inside, let her know what’s up.

Woody: You got it, and I’ll round up the other toys and spread the word. This is the big one!

Woody scampers out of the room, surprisingly quickly for one of such short stature.

Honey Lemon: What chemical balls do you think I’ll need the most of? I was thinking a combination of–

Honey Lemon’s next words wash over you in an unfamiliar pronuniciation you couldn’t possibly duplicate. That’s when you realize how tired you are. Quaz takes notices, and helps you off the table and down a hall. He leads you to a bath and helps you into the warm water. You scrub yourself clean, before going to a rough mattress, which feels like Heaven after your time in the cell. Quaz forces you to slowly drink three cups of water before leaving you to rest. You fall asleep with a sinking feeling that you are playing into Mirage’s hand…

Chapter Complete

Quaz: [90/100] :sunglasses:

Arthur: [75/100] :grin:

Will: [80/100] :grin:

Hiro: [35/50] :+1:

3 Likes

Chapter 20: Gambit

Quaz: [90/100] :sunglasses:

Arthur: [75/100] :grin:

Will: [80/100] :grin:

Hiro: [35/50] :+1:

Stats:

Experience (Level 5) [1000/8000]

Hand to Hand: Unlocked

You awake at some point later, though in the darkness it is impossible to tell what time it is. That is alright to you. You are used to being disoriented, although you do take a moment do breathe in the smell of the mattress you are sleeping on. Its a bit damp–possibly from your sweat or tears during the night-- and smells like old leather. Still, you are grateful to be away from the cold white room with humming walls, and slowly ease into the mattress again with contentment. This is not a simulation.

Then you figure out what woke you up as they repeat themselves.

Quaz :sunglasses: : Sorry to wake you up, Master Troy, but you need to be there for this debriefing, there will be food.

You ache. All over. Actually, your broken arm feels better than before, which is nice, although now that you have thought about it, it is extremely itchy. As you move to scratch it, you hear Quaz in the darkness.

Quaz :sunglasses: : Don’t scratch.

You: Ugh…

• Ask Quaz to help you up.
  • Get up on your own (Requires Strength)

0 voters

You groan again.

You: Quaz,can you help me up?

Quaz :sunglasses: : Of course, Master Troy.

Quaz gently pulls you up and lets you lean on him as you move through the tunnels. When you finally arrive at the debriefing, Go Go glances your way before commenting.

Go Go: See? We should have postponed this, he can barely stand on his own.

Hiro :+1: : …We’ve already set it in motion, we have to move now…

You: I can… I can help, I just need to get my bearings.

Go Go: I’d say first you need to get your landlegs.

Honey Lemon: Oh, knock it off, Go Go.

Honey Lemon enters at this moment, Wasabi behind her.

Wasabi: Excuse her, she’s just antsy.

You grunt out a response and then heave yourself into a chair. Esmeralda appears in the doorway and hands you a plate of eggs and toast. You start eating while Hiro outlines the plan.

Hiro :+1: : Okay, so you and your posse bring me and the others in guns blazing. Once we get inside, you yell out about how you’ve got brought the resistance. We’ll crumble beneath the robots, and get captured. Once Mirage gives you the artifact, the Parr kids will play their part, bust us out, and then we’ll take over the HQ.

You: Won’t the robots be a problem?

Honey Lemon: Their computer is in the HQ, as long as we get it, we get control of the entire army.

Go Go: Control the army, and you control the government.

Wasabi: We’ve heard back from Mode, she’s gonna have a method to break through the firewall devised for us by the time we show up.

You: Who’s Mode?

Honey Lemon: She’s a brilliant scientist. She used to be a fashion designer, but she’s been forced into work by the government. The AI program has advanced tremendously because of her, but at some point she realized that it was going too far and defected to us.

Hiro :+1: We’re pulling out all the stops with this one, this is the gambit of the rebellion. History-wise, this is where we either pull it off, or crash and burn. Nothing in between. What do you think of the plan?

• Go over the potential flaws and offer solutions. (Requires Weapon Knowledge)
  • Express a distrust in the rebellion
  • Express a worry about there not being a backup plan
  • Accept their plan as is.

0 voters

You: How positive are you that first off, you can hack the computer, and second off, that it does have all robot control? Mirage used a little screen to control the robots previously.

Hiro :+1: : The robots do have to be hooked up to a computer to maintain their basic functions, but you’re right that Mirage was able to control some with that device. This is the supercomputer though, and the few she takes won’t be enough to stop us. Plus, Mode already has everything set for a hack in.

You: How do we make sure the Parrs can find you, and what’s the backup for if Mirage doesn’t directly part with the artifact?

Go Go: We’re going to have trackers on us, and we already know where the artifact is being kept anyways. Stop wasting our time with these foolish questions and get ready to move out.

Go Go storms out of the room, but Hiro meets your eyes with respect.

Hiro :+1: : Nice of you to poke holes to make sure we’re expecting everything, it shows you understand everything well enough to know what could go wrong. Trust me, we’re preparing for every possible scenario, but ultimately, this is a big risk, and somethings just cannot be anticipated.

+10 Hiro Favor

Hiro is now your ally!

+200 Experience
Experience: [1200/8000]

You: Alright, if you’re all set, then let’s give this a spin.

You down the rest of your meal and finish it off with another couple glasses of water. Hiro leads you from the room, Quaz at your sidebut no longer helping you walk. You enter a room and see the rest of Hiro’s friends gearing up. Woody darts into the room and offers a status update, then takes off again.

Hiro :handshake: : Alright guys, we’re all set. Now we move out.

Go Go: Here goes everything we’ve worked for, I hope we’ve done enough.

Honey Lemon: For Fred!

Wasabi: Heck, for everyone, not just Fred.

Your companions also all meet up in the room. Jasmine’s daggers gleam wickedly in the light, the razor sharp edges sparkle with electricity. Quaz heads over to a table and puts on body armor and thick steel gauntlets. Will is carrying a pistol much like the one you saw in the simulations, and Arthur draws excalibur. Both Will and Arthur are also decked out in the shining armor, but Esmeralda is not.

Hiro :handshake: : I decided to give your friends a few upgrades, we need them to pull their own weight, after all.

Esmeralda: I’ll be scouting, not fighting.

You: Any chance you’ve got something for me?

Hiro sizes you up for a minute before finally offering a grin.

Hiro :handshake: : I’ve got yah a medallion that should enhance your connection to the arcane. Spirits, Magic, Beasts, whatevs, and that’s the cool part!

Hiro made a piece of tech to bolster the strength of your kingdom skills, Hiro has passed his first favor test!

Hiro :handshake: : I’ve also secured some weapons for you. You can only take one, but their all amazing. We’ve got a pair of gauntlets, they’ll be great for hand-to-hand combat. They are light, and sturdy. I also made a lot of lasor edged swords, you can take two if you think you can manage them. They’ll cut through the robots without any effort on your part, or I’ve made a giant sledgehammer. It is a prototype, but it should be able to send out an EMP everytime it collides with a surface. Basically you’ll be neutralizing robots left right and center with that. Take your pick!

Tutorial: You can now choose your weapon for the remainder of the battles! This choice will boost the experience gained from a combat skill by a huge amount, and look you to that combat choice. Whatever weapon you choose will be what you use for the rest of the story, so pick well!

• Charged Gauntlets! (Boosts Hand-to-hand)
  • Lasor-edged Swords (Boosts Dueling)
  • EMP Sledgehammer (Boosts Heavy Weaponry)

0 voters

You retrieve the pair of swords after placing the medallion securely around your neck. They hum through the air when you test them out. They feel really really good.

You: Heck yes!

Dueling skill has been boosted, double experience will now be gained from it.

Hand-to-hand and Heavy Weaponry are now locked.

Hiro :handshake: : That’s the enthusiasm I like to see when someone is complimenting my work!

Hiro offers you a grin and you grin back before tucking the two swords into their sheathes, and strapping them to your side. Hiro injects something into your broken arm and you feel your fingers twitch as he removes the cast.

Hiro :handshake: : We want you at the top of your game, let’s get out there!

With another clamour of voices, you, your companions, and the resistance surge down the exit and through the streets, making a beeline for the capital. All too soon you reach the HQ you were held in, and you feel a shudder as a pang of fear turns your legs to jelly. Next to you, Silver clasps your shoulder.

Silver :handshake: : Back into the beast, but this time, let’s get vengeance.

You smile at him and the near debilitating sense of fear leaves your body. Before you even reach the door, it burst open and dozens of robots charge outside. For a moment, there’s something resembling peace. Just the pound of clambering feet, the sizzle of electricity in the air, and the static of receivers…

…And then the battle begins. Steel cuts into steel, people shout, robots power down. Despite the few who exited with you, you are all more than a match for this army.

Jasmine’s new daggers slash, greedily piercing everything and leaving the robots dead to the world. Will and Silver stand side by side, each firing shouts from their laser pistols into the robots. One robot flies through the battlefield towards them, and Will draws his saber, at the same moment he holsters his gun before slashing the robot’s head clean off its shoulders. You charged toward a dozen robots, passing Quaz as he grabs a handful of a robots chest, rips and then throws it into another with a resounding boom. Arthur remains near Quaz. You watch as he cuts a robot in half with excalibur then whips around and lifts a hand to send a robot flying with magic.

Your reach your targets and easily slash through the robots. Your swords plunge deep and even the lightest caress of the blade against an enemy leaves a deep scratch and the sounds of zapping from wires. Your dozen foes fall before you with ease.

4000 Experience
Experience: [5200/8000]

Your companions are hardly the only ones packing a punch. Go Go’s disks cut through enemies around her as she seems to fly rather than skate over the road. At one point she leaps into the air before bringing her disks down and cleaving two robots completely in half. As she does this, a robot comes up behind her, prepared to strike with a laser sword. Wasabi appears out of nowhere and parries the blow with his own laser sword before jabbing it through the middle and watching it power down. He turns to the next enemy as a ball of goop flies past him, lands on a robot and then promptly explodes blowing the robot up. You turn to the side where you see Honey lemon pressing buttons on the side of what looks like a purse. Another blob shoots out the side and she catches this before dashing it at an enemy. Hiro fights on his own, pulling robots to him with powerful magnets and then slamming them into each other or the ground. Esmeralda stays amid this group of chaos, though she does not fight, she does a surpisinging job of dodging around and staying out of people’s way.

It does not take very long for you to fight through the bulk of the robots and get inside, where you steadily race down one hallway, Will and Silver blasting robots in your path. Eventually you enter a large room, seemingly empty until you set foot deeper within, at which point the tiles beneath your group highlight and Mirage ahead of you. The walls on all four sides manifest giant turrets, and you gulp as you realize this is the moment where your plan reaches its fruition. Mirage smirks and you catch her eye before calling out your declaration.

You: A deal’s a deal, Mirage. I’ve brought you the top minds of the resistance. They’ll know everything you need to know about it all.

You turn on the resistance members, swords drawn as you step away. Go Go blows a bubble of gum that pops loudly as Hiro scrunches up his face.

Hiro :handshake: : You what!? Troy! You rotten traitorous scum I’m going to kill you!

You: That won’t be happening anymore, I’m afraid.

Honey Lemon: How could you do this? They hurt you!

You: Yes, and that’s why I know how important it is I remain on their good side.

You are a little ways from Mirage now, and that’s when you feel the pull of the artifact to her. You glance around her neck and see she has a small rectangular piece of metal around her neck. Just as you were about to retrieve it, something else dawns on you. Mirage has the piece, and it’s not where Hiro expected it to be. What other information could the resistance have had wrong.

Mirage begins to sarcastically applaud, then she outright laughs, as two robots round the corner behind her, each holding a child securely handcuffed. One is small with blonde hair and a shifty gaze, the other is older with black hair and a nervous demeanor. Both are dressed in Red tights, with black gloves and boots and the letter I as a symbol on their chests.

Hiro sucks in a breath, and Honey Lemon gasps

Mirage: It is actually cute that you thought I would fall for this. Did you really think it would be that hard to figure you all out? Even as we speak, I’m rounding up your resistance. Edna Mode has been detained, but ultimately she will continue to work for us, as will all of you when you have been simulated.

• Improvise the plan and pretend that the Resistance deceived you too
  • Screw the plan and attempt to take Mirage hostage
  • Attempt to free the Parr kids

0 voters

You offer Hiro a double-take and let your lower lip quiver in shock and hurt.

You: You guys didn’t trust me? B-but I thought–

Hiro :handshake: : Of course we didn’t trust you! You think we’ve managed this long by trusting people? You really are crazy, aren’t you! I’d never trust you, but I’m hurt you thought I would.

Mirage watches this exchange with interest and you hold back a grin at Hiro’s improvisation. Just when you think you are home clear, A small shadow rounds the corner and addresses Mirage.

Woody: Don’t believe their banter. Troy knew exactly what he was getting into just like the rest of them. He’s not your ally, and if you trust him now, you’ll be bringing an end to your little empire here.

Hiro’s eyes narrow, and you can suddenly feel the sincerity in his voice from betrayal.

Hiro :handshake: : Woody! You…how! I–

Mirage offered a knowing smile

Mirage: Convincing counterpart, isn’t it? Troy’s help was extraordinarily useful in figuring out how to make the robots act like humans…or in this case, a sentient toy.

Mirage offers a maddening smile.

Mirage: I’m one step ahead of you all, and that’s why I’m in charge. Now, Troy, if you wouldn’t mind rejoining your buddies.

You consider trying something, but that’s when you once again remember the guns all aimed at the resistance, among them your companions. With clenched teeth, you slowly step back over to your group of failed insurrectionists.

Mirage: Now I have everything I require–

The guns on the walls flip back inside the walls and you hear a voice over the loudspeakers

Voice: I’m putting everything on this now, dahlings. Here’s the shot you needed, now take it.

Hiro is the first to surge forward. The tiles Mirage is standing on collapse and she falls through swiftly as they reposition themselves afterwards. Robots stream into the room from all directions, these bringing lasers into the fray. You notice Arthur lift a magic shield as the others spread out to find cover or take the robots on. Hiro takes down the robots holding the Parr kids and you slice through their restraints swiftly.

Hiro :handshake: : Spread out and find Mirage, Troy, we got to secure Mode!

As you follow Hiro down the corridor, you notice him take a moment to trample Woody to smithereens before continuing on. The robots you encounter are no match for the two of you and they easily sucuumb to your attacks.

You sprint down several hallways before finally stopping in front of a door which opens for you. Inside, sitting on a chair is a short woman with glasses perched on her nose and black hair in a bob. As she sees the two of you in the computer screens reflection she spins around raises her hands and dramatically curls them towards herself.

Edna Mode: Hiro, Dahling! I was beginning to wonder if the plan would fall through in the end. And Troy, come closer, let me see.

You step further into the room, noting the sparking robot that appears to have been impaled by a long thin rod. As you get closer, Mode adjusts her glasses, looks you up and down then sniffs as she turns back to the computer screen.

Edna Mode: When this all ends, I will design you an outfit to go with your natural physique! You deserve something revolutionary. That is what you are.

Hiro :handshake: : Yes, but first, Edna… I need you to do me a favor.

Edna Mode: But of course, dahling, I will also make you an outfit!

Hiro :handshake: : No, not that, I need you to hck into Troy’s chip and give him a tech upload. He needs to know the skill of our kind.

Edna eyes you again, then shrugs as if completely unbothered. She presses a few keys and then taps a few more buttons. You see a rectangle with the word “Uploading” in block letters, then soon after the words “Upload Complete”. Your mind suddenly swims as information previously undiscovered now flows into you.

Hiro :handshake: : Okay, Troy, disable your chip now.

You confidently approach the keybard as Edna moves out of the way and tap several buttons. The screen lights up, with a command and soon the chip has been disables. Edna applauds.

Hiro :handshake: : Now you have the skills of tech on your side, I hope it serves you well.

Hiro taught you the tech kingdom skill. Hiro has passed his favor test.

Kingdom skill unlocked: Technical Know-How!

You: Wow…this is… enlightening…

Edna Mode hops off the chair then proceeds to rip the thin metal rod from the robot and carry it once more.

Edna: Now that we have this taken care of, we need to proceed to the supercomputer and actually take control of the robots.

Hiro :handshake: : Right, let’s move!

The three of you dart from the room and proceed down the passage. At the end, blast doors have sealed off the remainder of the corridor. You notice a panel next to the door. At the other end of the hall, robots are approaching from a distance, guns raised.

• Hack the door open (Requires Technical Know-how)
  • Shoot a fireball at the robots (Requires Wizardry)
  • Charge the robots

0 voters

The panel has a digital pad on it. You tap the side and a compartment pops out. You pluck several wires out, then grab one an rip it out. The panel sparks and you enter four random numbers into the pad. The doors begin to open. Behind you, You see both robots fall as Edna blasts them with a laser gun almost her full height. She ghrins when you look at her and gestures to a compartment by the door where she must have pulled the gun from.

+200 Experience

Experience: [5400/8000]

Hiro :handshake: : Nice one!

Edna Mode: Let’s move!

The three of you charge through the door and round the corner, laser blasts slamming into the wall you past. You leap down three flights of stairs before nearly crashin into Edna, who is leading the way.

You: Watch it!

Edna: Not possible…

Before you, a young man stands motionless, in a dinosaur suit. As you gape at him, Mirage rounds the corner and stands behind him, another of her maddening smiles on her face.

Mirage: Don’t think you have won. You will all be simulated. It is only a matter of time.

Hiro :handshake: : Fred!? But… I thought you were dead months ago…

Mirage: Not dead, but he might as well be to you. Fred, kill them.

Fred: Nothing can beat me! Bring it on freaks!

Fred charges towards you, pulling the back of his hood over himself, and breathing a fireball out of his mouth. It looms closer, and you all dodge out of its path, watching it spasm harmless into the wall behind you before going out. Edna lifts the gun to her shoulder but seems to think better of it and sets it down, instead pullingg out the metal rod from earlier.

Edna: He’s in a simulation, but that’s him.

Hiro :handshake: : Edna! Did you know about this?

Edna: No way, dahling. I thought they had not made this much progress in the area, and I assumed Fred dead a long time ago as well.

Mirage: Ooh, we’re just getting to the good part.

As she says this, another figure steps forward from a door. He clasps two brass knuckles in his fists and advances as mindlessly as Fred. Hiro lets out a ragged breath beside you.

Hiro :handshake: : T-Tadashi!? You’re alive too!?

Mirage smiles, almost sincerely.

Mirage: The surprises will keep on coming as time goes on.

Tadashi surges forward, catching up to Fred, who had momentarily paused, before the two charged together. The two divide up, Tadashi punching Hiro in the gut forcibly, though Hiro probably did not feel it due to the armor he had on. Fred lobbed a fireball at Edna, who patted it away effortlessly with her stylus. Before charging towards him, climbing up him, and bashing him on the head. Fred ignited into flames, and Edna Mode leapt off in an instant. Meanwhile, Tadashi battered Hiro again, who clusmily attempted to dodge, the fight seemingly drawn out of him by his encounters. Before you could take anything more in, you catch Mirage whip out a laser pistol, about to pull the trigger, her target: you!

• Dodge your way to her and disable her. (Requires Reflexes)
  • Conjure a shield (Requires Wizardry)
  • Try to hide
  • Yell for help

0 voters

You lift your hands and conjure a shield just as Mirage pulls the trigger. The laser blasts into your shield before reflecting back towards her. Mirage dodges out of the way before firing again. Your shields do not usually reflect the attack, how odd. Just then you feel the medallion warm against your chest. It really does amplify your magic! You surge towards Mirage, her shots flying off the shield as you reach her. You ram straight into her and she easily goes flying.

+600 Experience

Experience: [6000/8000]

Your remove your shield and retrieve the final artifact piece from Mirage’s neck, You taking a moment to study it, noting that it is a simple computer chip. You pocket it and make your way back to your struggling companions, but Edna calls out to you.

Edna: Doing fine here, dahling. Just plug this into the main computer! The room behind you!

Edna leaps atop Fred and hurls a flash-drive at you. You grab this and dart into the room as directed. It is easy to locate the drive port and you carefully plug it in. The computer boots to life, and as you read the text on the screen, you know something is wrong. The text continuously rambles about initiating the AI takeover protocol. You have no idea what this means as you attempt to reboot the computer to no avail. You attempt to hack into it, but it refuses to respond to any of your commands. You spin out of the chair and dart back to the hall to inform Edna, but stop sort when you see her battling against a trio of robot arms carrying helmets. One such helmet is already on Mirage, and you watch in horror as Tadashi holds Hiro still while a helmet snaps onto his head.

You: What is happening!?

Edna: This is… The AI takeover protocol, but it should not be finished yet!

You: I am beginning to think they have made a lot more progress than you thought!

Edna beats the robot arm till it goes limp, sparks crackling, before offering you a sheepish look.

Edna: So am I… We need to get out of here! We have the artifacts, now we end this by stopping it from beginning!

You: But what about Hiro?

Edna: If we tarry, we may become simulated as well, we cannot risk that!

As you reluctantly follow Edna down the hallway, Edna whirls around and then lets out a warning, but something cold and smooth wraps around your head, and everything goes dark…

Chapter Complete

Quaz: ?

Jasmine: ?

Arthur: ?

Will: ?

Silver: ?

Hiro: ?

4 Likes

Our Noble origin will try to make they at ease, but of course we will eventually steal from them :joy:

1 Like

“Thank them for carrying it for you (requires manners)”. Something about this just feels like a planned roast and I can’t get over it :joy:

Next choice is out.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I’ve been busy all morning. I’ll release the next choice tomorrow.

2 Likes

Sorry, I had to go on a trip yesterday. Anyways, next choice is out.

2 Likes

Next choice is out, this should be a fun one! :grin:

2 Likes

I believe we have the combo Strenght, Dueling and Charisma unlocked, so explaining and hope they part with Tech is the only option

2 Likes

Next choice is out.

2 Likes

Alrighty, let’s have Discobot break this tie for us!

@discobot roll 1d2

1. Catch your breath.
  2. Make sure everyone’s here.

:game_die: 2

4 Likes

Well done Discobot!!

Now let’s see how everyone reacts!

Next choice is out! What’ll it be?

1 Like

That’s the end of the chapter, the first choice of the next chapter comes out tomorrow. How will you get out of this one?

1 Like

Now that is some top notch writing :grin:

:clap::clap::clap:

You should think about getting into screenwriting!

5 Likes

XD I have considered it. :thinking: But I’m not sure how one “gets into it” really. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes
PerBlue Entertainment | Terms of Use | Cookie Policy | © Disney