Weekend Contest 9/20-9/23 *Constructive Feedback Only*

@Polaris I believe an explanation is owed to the community on the contest design this weekend.

I’d like to take some time to spark a constructive discussion on the decisions made for this contest; as you’ve seen there is a great deal of contention and frustration around the criteria for this contest.

A few points to note:

1. There has been a distinct lack of deals for diamond crates lately in the events tab, in-game.
  2. Contest rewards have not included any/many crates for the player base lately asside from the whale-level rewards, if at all.
  3. City watch difficulty scaling changes lately have made it nearly impossible to get the maximum points for each of the featured heroes this contest, if you can even complete all 15 on normal mode, per day, without any of them dying, that is.
  4. Including Arena wins in point scoring, just adds salt to the wounds, as some players are unable to compete in their respective arena’s due to massive or unrealistic spread of other players’ power levels, once ranked and unable to attack anyone but those above them.
    4a. Piggy-backing off of point 4, some players in arena have taken to "dropping defense” to allow for others to gain points within Arena, which is a highly unfortunate side-effect of this contest, and I’m assuming an unintended consequence of poor planning on perblue’s part.

This is a highly difficult contest for any player to compete in, Whale or otherwise, including personal progression.

As you’ve seen already, there is a massive outcry from the community regarding this and many players have reached their last straw and will be, or have already quit the game due to these types of decisions.

Thank you

10 Likes

Hola varios de mis compañeros de clan no pueden avanzar en la guardia de ciudad porque los defensores los pasan por más del doble de poder y eso que es en modo normal

1 Like

Apologies, I had to use Google translate.

Sì, muy cierto. Hay una gran brecha en el poder cuando se genera el nuevo distrito, que es muy difícil de superar. Esto se ha discutido también en otros mensajes.

I’m usually one to bash decisions made in this game right away, but I don’t have a problem with this contest. It’s a contest, not a new game mode and not a necessary part of the game. I like that there was some variety to this contest rather than the same FTN or city faire.

1 Like

Except the contests are usually built so that even if high rank rewards are our out of reach, players can still get progress rewards. They’re usually items you can expect to hoard or be able to earn. Most people hoard diamond crates so they can use them for new heroes, not contests, and there were two new heroes released last week.

So here we have a contest where most will not get the top progress reward, but once diamond crate deals are offered, whales who don’t mind paying cash can get them, along with the high rank rewards too.

2 Likes

I would like to add a point that hasn’t really been brought up and that is that PerBlue has recently released a slew of Heroes across the servers. Most players tend to use up their Diamond crates right away to try to get them. Plus, I bought Diamond crates with diamonds but it didn’t count towards the contest because apparently the contest rules state that you have to use the crate, that means it has to be in your inventory already. I’ve been playing since worldwide launch, I’m considering quitting. The only reason I haven’t quit yet is that I’m actually the ruler of my guild. It saddens me to see the constant decisions that are doing nothing but driving players away. There doesn’t seem to be much interested in listening to the player base. I’m a relatively patient guy but I’m at my Wit’s end already.

7 Likes

I think the biggest, most glaring issue with this contest, is that so much emphasis/point weight is being put on the diamond crates.

Even tier 1 or 2 in the progress is going to be hard to attain, and beyond with the other points being gained from a partially broken game mode and a skill based/power struggle game mode.

Those arena points alone, I’m seeming to rely on nice folks who’ve dropped defenses for the guaranteed wins, rather than gambling on a full team.

As you stated, the other glaring issue is that there was the release of other heroes this week, and many people burned a majority their crates to get them.

@Skeeter I also agree with you that it’s not a necessary game mode to participate in, but who doesn’t love getting free stuff!? :slight_smile:

This contest would not be as much of a problem if the points had been weighted towards the City Watch and Arena Victories. Most people have Jack and Tia Dalma at this point (Though most on S19 don’t have Barbossa)

Weighting the points so that you needed three perfect City Watch runs with two of the three characters plus 15 Arena Victories to achieve the Max Progress Rewards would have meant that most Dolphins and folks that were mostly F2P would have had an achievable goal to shoot for. Drop a deal for Barbossa or Jack Sparrow Chips in there and a lot of people would have purchased it just for the CW powerup.

Instead the contest has been designed to actively dishearten the majority of the player base, I love this game and even I wanted to just give up and quit after seeing to latest competition progress requirements.

By all means keep the crate points as a way for the whales to duke it out over the top ranking rewards but the progress rewards should be achievable by the majority of the player base to avoid demoralising and alianating them.

You want to keep your small and medium spenders because otherwise you won’t keep the big ones. You need to keep the F2Ps because otherwise your small and Medium spenders will lose half their guildmates and leave the game. This means the progress goals should always be SMART. Specific, Measurable, ACHIEVABLE, Relevant and Time-Specific. Four out of five is not enough.

You need to start listening to all of your community Perblue, not just the ones who tell you what you want to hear. You’ve given us a great game but you’re now running it into the ground trying to leech all the cash you can out of the whales as quickly as possible in an unsustainable manner.

EA’s Galaxy of Heroes is more balanced than this. When EA is fairer there is a real problem happening because they are the poster boys for cash grabs.

Listen to your community and do better by them or you will lose a lot more players the next time something like this happens.

3 Likes

LOL city watch is not hard at all smh, I don’t understand why people are complaining about city watch being hard, if your Heroes aren’t strong enough to do that difficulty then stay on the easier one until then. Simple. I understand if you come across a Jafar in city watch and you don’t have a Jafar, that’s a completely different story, we all know Jafar is broken right now. Other than that it shouldn’t be that hard.
Even though I do agree, a partial effort in this contest is through money that’s the only way you’re going to get diamond crates so if your Heroes aren’t good enough to handle City watch some players are going to feel like it’s another “spending contest”

This is on normal

1 Like

@Baroness_Olaf_III Oh wow… I’ve been playing on super hard for a really long time obviously red was not out around that time but it should not be this difficult for people playing on normal regardless, 6 stars + O8 + red? shame on you perblue. That is not a “normal” difficultly.

1 Like

Wouldn’t be so bad if winning City Watch gave decent points but I’ve been through 3 times and barely got anything.

Its not just the hero levels. It’s the fact that this draws from coliseum or arena where high level players/spenders use the newer, more powerful heroes. Pumbaa is especially tough during this contest as he negates Barbosa’a guaranteed crits. Then you have Jafar and db and beast who do insane damage, or bo peep who is incredibly hard to stop once she’s got white skill.

1 Like

Many people here don’t seem to realise that there’s no difference at all in the matchmaking & enemies you’ll face depending on your City Watch difficulty.

The only differences in difficulties are the modifications to your own team (aside from super hard wards such as +enemy HP etc)

An easy level CW and a Super Hard level CW will use exactly the same algorithm to match opponents.

I will say it’s been one of the worst weeks in game since I can remember.
Invasion bugged all week, CW bugged for many (most of the week), Surge is bugged today (all teams 80k or less when they should be 300-400k :confused: no gold earning).
The contest is poorly timed, right after most players spent their crates for the last patch a little over a week ago. Many complaints on the forums for various issues and on top, the patch level increase has been delayed.

@Polaris We know next week we’re due a Badge Bit Collector guild contest, please ask the team to postpone this contest if you pull the 140/R1 patch for the week.

Oh and the recent cash deals have been 45% of the value we were offered 2 weeks ago and somehow labelled “Bonus” ?

5 Likes

I did super hard all last week, I have 20 sh raid tickets. I was doing normal for the contest. The difficulty “fix” yesterday seems to have really made :performing_arts: team’s you face tougher, sometimes impossible, no matter what difficulty

Contests should be skill. Not pay to play. The city watch fights are fine, the diamond box thing is horrible

2 Likes

Every contest has a pay to play aspect to it. FTN is basically completely p2p and has been a contest since the beginning.

I TOTALLY agree with you.

The contest was one big disappointment.

Squeezing it into the middle of two lvl cap raise it SEEMS this is an erratic behavior - i can assure it is not.

To stay erratic and chaotic IS a common strategy in different situations (politics, war, other) to be unpredictable.

But as i want to remember this is (hopefully) not war.
We have to expect to stay on the watch, adapt quickly and not be frustrated:

PerBlue WANTS the high-end gamer to quit because they need the low and middle gamers to come into the game to think they might end up one day in the upper ranks.

So in order to encourage those players special offers are being displayed for low-spenders, „erratic“ contests are being held to discourage older gamers and low value offers are being represented.

How to beat this game mechanic:

• stay calm
  • do not quit
  • post your critique on the forum (within PB‘s guidelines)
  • write a email/letter to Pb
  • post your opinion in the app store or other social medias.
2 Likes
PerBlue Entertainment | Terms of Use | Cookie Policy | © Disney