An Autistic Disney Character

Disney has created many character that hsve mafe their mark on history. Like Mickey Mouse who is the first animated characters ever and Woody and Buzz, who helped revolutionized animation forever by being the first computer animated characters. But what if they blazed a new trail by having a character that represents those who have special needs, such as Autism? I would like to hear your thoughts and feeling of a main character that is on the autistic spectrum.

3 Likes

They had one in the spark shorts on Disney+, I think the short was loop.

But not everybody has Disney+. So how could they know?

Um, YouTube

You want my honest opinion? They will not do that, and should not either.

The way Disney is at this point, they have their characters making jokes, and being stupid all the time. The moment you make an autistic character do something like that, everyone rants at Disney for insulting those with autism.

But, if you have the autistic person being the only character not making jokes and comedy, then people rant that they are insulting people with autism.

Finally, the solution is to drop all comedy and make a serious film about an autistic person, possibly with them being bullied throughout the film and stuff.

But if you drop the comedy and romance, and only have dramaā€¦you no longer have Disney.

*This was not made to offend any person with autism or any other afflictions, if it did insult you, then I fully apologize, I am mereloy attempting to explain why it is a bad idea for Disney.

15 Likes

Yes thatā€™s the thing to. If Disney made a character who was autistic they would probably go on strike, or will more than likely end up being heckled for this, it is a bad idea, and letā€™s not forget, they already did it

Not the way i see it.

Disney is also known for being warm and caring about everybody, no matter who they are or where they come from.

Who knows, it may be the other way around. This character might be loved and appreciated.

Just remember, beauty is found from within. :blush:

3 Likes

But there are film critics so if a movie ever would fail it would be from people taking the autistic character the wrong way

Tbh disney without jokes is just one of those Disney ripoffs

Youā€™re half right, and half not.

Disney could make a good film about an autistic character, they would just need to opt for humour based on the events or situations that the characters end up in, rather than at things the character does. I donā€™t think it would be wrong for them to have the character do something funny, but letā€™s face it - people are overly sensitive, or (more likely) pretend to be for the sake of attention. Any good writer would be able to pull it off and make the touching comedy that we usually get from Disney.

The problem is that Disney doesnā€™t seem to have good writers anymore. Or at the very least, their work is decreasing in quality. This is because Disney has rapidly become overtly political. Which is really my biggest concern for a film like this.

Thereā€™s a really good chance the writers would politicize this as Disney as of late neglects to let their films be character driven just for the sake of sticking in an unnecessary and overdone ā€˜politicalā€™ lesson. (look at their recent sequels for reference, the characters just arenā€™t the same)

I wouldnā€™t be opposed to seeing a character like this, but I donā€™t want to see this character politicized.

11 Likes

In one sentence, you summarize my argument. :grin:

A lesson learned from Hunchback of Notre Dameā€¦ :thinking: or was it??

1 Like

Thatā€™s the half right part :slight_smile:

This part I donā€™t agree with. It can be done, itā€™s more of a question of whether or not Disney can take a minute to let the characters guide the story without turning to mindless politics.

1 Like

Close, but it is Beauty and the Beast actually

I have autism so I wouldnā€™t mind having autism representation in a Disney movie. Iā€™m worried Disney will take it too far.

I have autism as well, and i think after Song of the South, theyā€™ll know where to draw the line. Donā€™t you agree?

Autism is definitely something that Pixar would cover (not Disney). How do I know? Because Pixar has been doing kids with special needs for years and Disney just sat their and stared at them while doing other movies. Iā€™m just saying if Pixar has been doing it Disney would have followed their example unless they had a serious reason not to.

I also have it, and really donā€™t care either way :man_shrugging:t2: I donā€™t feel like itā€™s anything special that needs to be ā€œinclusiveā€ or whatever, its just a thing some people have. Not that I have it especially strongly but still, I donā€™t think Iā€™m any different or need to be representedā€¦ disney characters are fictional!

3 Likes

I disagree with having that kind of character star in, or really even be a part of, a Disney movie as well. RubyKinz and David already said this, but Disney canā€™t write well enough for it to turn out much better than a sad attempt at inclusion with a relatively flat character that uses a detail thatā€™s meaningless to the plot as their entire personality.
Not that including an autistic character is bad, per se. If Disney was capable of writing them in an interesting way that actually makes use of it (similarly to how blind characters are portrayed with heightened senses to make up for their loss of sight), then that would be a great character.

6 Likes

Pixar already covered it in loop

I mean like in a full length movie. Not a 7 minute or so short. It not enough time to establish that kind of a detail. For all some viewers know, she is probably a mute

PerBlue Entertainment | Terms of Use | Cookie Policy | Ā© Disney