Discussion: 2D or 3D animation

What I would like to see, is instead of making live action remakes, is to 3-D re-animate the classics.
Pixar could do the same. Reanimate TS and the early films. Because, while TS is amazing…

Idk if my point was clear, but that’s what I wanna see.

Well I can see your point here, but not with the Toy Story movies. Those are great as they are… Sure animation has improved, but Toy Story was groundbreaking.

And if you want something to compare to, go watch Early Barbie movies (or Seamus Gorman reviews). They were made later, but look awful.

1 Like

1995-1996 are probably the kind of people/kids who kind of might be more likely not be sure which generation era they fit the most in, so yeah probably a part the terms Zillennial were made to have a term for basically Millennial/Gen Z hybrids.
So yeah, early childhood era VHS(2D), Mid DVD(2D/3D) childhood, late Childhood/Teen years streaming(3D).

Ah, think I know what you mean with the second dark era or to say the post-renaissance era, but I have always been a person who leaned more towards Donald Duck and Co and Mickey rather than Disney specifically technically, so kind of 2 different things even if related :-).
I did grew up with Lion King though and some other Disney things, but I would say my heart are closer to Donald Duck and Co and Mickey’s comic stories, as well as animation shorts.

As for the Toy Story topic I wouldn’t mind if Pizar made an improved/modernized version or at least fixed the human animation as those are really outdated these days, but yeah making the Toy Story move from scratch again I don’t think is necessarily needed.

Of course completely fine if you have another opinion One_Little_Spark :-).

1 Like

This is more in line what I meant.

Funny thing is that I remember one specific VHS we had in my house and that was Toy Story :joy:

We bought the DVD in 2005 though when we got a player, but stil remember it.

Oh that’s something that wasn’t really present here. Only in Disneyland (Paris) was were I interacted with them (winter 2006)

Yeah that still also applies to me. Besides Pixar there was much room also for the early Renaissance movies.

Yeah those weren’t very good, but they were luckily not much in those movies. In that case I could see a remastered version as George Lucas did with Star Wars.

1 Like

Well, most VHS movies were likely 2D within animation though ;-). But yeah I see and cool :-).

Not sure if I want to give out my age through hinting, but yeah I see and cool that you got a DVD in 2005 :-).

I see, yeah were I am from Donald Duck and Co comics with Mickey stories as well are pretty common. I recommend you checking out Donald Duck and Co comics if you are interested, some of them are really cool :-).

Cool, and not just renaissance movies, some post-renaissance movies like Lilo and Stitch, Atlantis, Finding Nemo are pretty good too.
Brother Bear and The Emperor’s New Groove are probably decent movies as well.
The ones that are of actual lower (creative) quality would likely be Little Chicken, Meet the Robinsons and Home on the Range and such.

And yeah, we will see on how it goes for Toy Story, but at least a fix to the human animation would be nice :-).

1 Like

I have watched Lilo and Stitch for the first time only recently…

Finding Nemo is indeed quite good, but a Pixar movie actually :blush:

Brother Bear is decent, and haven’t really seen the rest.

Ah I see and yeah, hope you liked Lilo and Stitch :-).

I actually meant to remove Finding Nemo as I came to realize that it was actually Pixar, but yeah forgot to remove it from the list.

Fair if you haven’t seen the rest, but good to hear that you find Brother Bear at least decent.

Either way, we should probably let others discuss now as we have been talking for a while here now :-).

1 Like

This is a great article I found on 2D vs 3D and how both art forms have pros and cons. Neither is perfect, but both have great things about them that work better in different ways and this article fully expresses and shows how.

I found it great to read as a artist myself and I’m sure you guys will also enjoy reading it.

There is a actually a funny story. John Lasseter wanted to make some new 2D movies for the animation canon before he resigned.

Okay, looks like thing are just about wrapped up here. So, i guess it’s time for a final vote.

2D or 3D animation
  • 2D
  • 3D

0 voters

Oooh, even though not very many have voted it was still a close race. But in the end, people prefer to stay mainstream and stick with 3D animation.

In my opinion, i would go back to 2D for awhile. Nothing wrong with 3D mind you, but there something about 2D animation that just feel so… natural in a cartoon space. But, i think that

But offhand, i think this debate went just swimmingly. And it has been fun to listen to everyone’s opinions on a subject such as this.

What say we do another debate on a whole new topic next weekend?

PerBlue Entertainment | Terms of Use | Cookie Policy | © Disney