PerBlue, let's talk

I would go a step further and say that the publisher is convinced balancing / resource improvements will make them less money; at any rate, their actions are certainly consistent with a belief that they need to make players feel like the only way to keep up is to spend money in ever-increasing amounts.

6 Likes

Yeah there’s mostly 2 types of people who will spend on these sort of games - those who spend because they enjoy the game and want to support the game while furthering their enjoyment with purchases, and those who spend because they they feel forced to in order to achieve their personal aims in the game.

This game is definitely targeted at the latter, which from an economic view is probably fair - they are likely to spend more & more often :stuck_out_tongue: but what happens is that the squeeze reaches a point where those people who felt forced to spend, realise they aren’t forced to do anything and stop spending - or worse, stop playing altogether.

There’s also 0 fallback because that strategy produces a rather unenjoyable game, so the 1st group of players don’t spend either - then we have a problem.

By targeting more content at the 1st group, you keep a fun, fair game, with happy players, and probably still get lots of the 2nd group too - but possssibly make a few less $$ overall.

Those few $$ are all most publishers see :slightly_frowning_face:

5 Likes

Really valid points.

I don’t think it’s practical to believe that whales can be persuaded into no longer spending. What’s for sure is, if PB don’t listen and cater to those who spend modestly, the player base will definitely die out, and they’re going to lose a lot more than they think, if their key focus stays mainly on the big spenders.

As is true for any social setting, really. You ignore the middle class; the economy starts falling apart.

3 Likes

F2Ps for the WIN!

Yes. Lots of kids play this game, after all it is Disney! There are a lot of issues in this game that really harm kids when you think about it (huge time investment, deals, chat, etc.)

2 Likes

To note, the 5 dollar friends deal for invasion supplies is likely a timed system thing, not something that is consciously thought out with each implementation. Expecting a change that profound and quickly as a flexive reaction to a growing forums post is unrealistic. Flip side, if the deal was another amazing one, like the diamond chest one, it doesnt mean they necessarily listened to the post. I have a feeling these deals are preset and go off at intervals.

2 Likes

I’ll admit, I don’t know either if expecting whales to stop or even reduce their spending is reasonable, but the strike thread is inspiring, if it’s any indication to go by. It sucks that we’ll never know how much or if it had any impact, both on the player base or on Perblue’s revenue…

As for ignoring the needs of the “middle-class”… While I agree this will inevitably lead to the collapse of the player population, unlike in real society where you can’t “close the country” they can just shut down the servers and release another game. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised that certain mobile games follow a business model that requires milking the cow dry as fast as possible, using as few resources as possible, while simultaneously working on the next project. Whether this is what Perblue is doing remains to be seen. At least for now they are still releasing new characters, with new art and mechanics, which is not the cheapest way to maintain a game. They sure could do worse in terms of their investment in the game (like just increase caps).

see, this is a reason why talks about how PerBlue caring about players aren´t really right… this deal appeared on my alt account… if it appeared on my main (and MIND YOU, IT COULD), I would´ve bought it… not this way tho PerBlue, sorry

I agree with you 100%. I am on server 2, a recent move, with a very low level team, which CANNOT EVEN PLAY INVASION because of the strength of the opponents it faces. So I fight and lose until I meet my daily quest for the day and can go fight the Bosses, where I can get help from my guild killing them. I’m now 2 weeks from when this travesty began, my team has upgraded from 60-something to 82. I’m actually able to take out wards now. Amazing. Secondly, that doesn’t cover the Queen of Hearts merc still stuck for the last 2 weeks in my Surge. Another Daily Quest I can’t get credit for. Or thirdly, the endless pop up error messages that are reported and never fixed in the friend quests. I enjoy this game, the guilds, the character, the storyline. Just not some of your support work. Your new graphics are awesome. Please hire competent Temps to assist on your programming errors, or bring in a company to assist.

2 Likes

Yeah but the crates vary on your actual team level, not how many accounts you have…

They didnt said…It depends on no. of account u have :roll_eyes::no_mouth::no_mouth:

1 Like

Please give this man a credit and stick his answer to the almost top!

PerBlue when will your bells start ringing?. You are making mistakes by not giving everyone same opportunities and even block people from being able to buy deals because they start at 22.- most likely, half all deals prize/reward and increase the amoont being able to be bought!!!the 5,50 many more are willing to give :relieved: even twice or four times. Thats plain human psychology.

Thanks for enjoying my post, but I think I wasn’t completely clear if that is your takeaway. Obviously, I don’t work at Perblue, but this is generally how mobile game companies operate. I’ll boil it down to this:

Perblue makes decisions based on how much money they make. That’s normal, they’re a business. They will change only if they think they can make more money by changing, or more likely, if they start making less money doing what they are doing now. Our words don’t count for much, our in game spending does.

My post was not directed at Perblue. Obviously they already know all this, they created the game this exact way, with what we are describing as “problems”. It’s by design! It’s directed at the players so they understand where all their power is: in their wallets, not their words.

Edit: That said, I do encourage everyone to continue to draw attention to the game’s problems on these forums. Likelyhood of change will come from more widespread knowledge.

4 Likes

They should make the wallets count then. Right now, they don´t.

By “they” you mean the players?

I know.
I completely understood you right :grin:

No, the developers. Right now players know they are getting trash. That doesn´t induce spending or induces only alcohol-driven purchases. Trust me, I remember the latter from SEGA Heroes. Not on myself though.

1 Like

I personally agree with you, and so do others in this thread. But what about the silent majority? All those whales who aren’t in this thread? The only ones who actually know how much people are spending on this game is Perblue.

We look at the deals and rationally think: this is a bad deal and I won’t buy it, and so will nobody else. In reality, we have no proof that this is true.
My thinking is more along the lines of: these deals are bad and are staying that way (getting worse actually), so players must be buying them. Perblue is there to make money, not alienate their players! If you are right and that nobody is gonna buy those crappy deals, why would they still be offering them?

2 Likes

Well, you know what would be the best answer? Ask along in the forums. I know some don´t even read the forums, but VIP chat actually has quite a lot of spenders who might evaluate at least the guild deals in the terms of “being bought”.

So I’ve read the recent patch notes, and ill be honest, I’m not sure how much these changes will have since polaris said these improvements thats coming with the notes will help slightly. Although the extra gold is welcomed, not really sure why they didn’t do a double whammy and fix the stamina problem which happens on badges.

Minor quality of life changes as well.

The extra gold doesn’t even scratch the surface, does it?

2 Likes
PerBlue Entertainment | Terms of Use | Cookie Policy | © Disney