Steamboat Willie Enters the Public Domain

We’re not that far into the year yet and I have big news to share with you.

Early versions of Mickey Mouse have now entered the public domain.

What does this mean you may ask. Well, it does not necessarily mean they lose it entirely but it means that anyone can use this version of Mickey without consequence with one small catch, they are not allowed to mislead other into thinking that Disney supports their ideas such as the slash movie already in the works called Mickey’s Mouse Trap.

And it not just Retro Mickey entering the domain. Retro Minnie, Tigger, and characters from Peter Pan will also be entering the domain as well.

But don’t panic, the modern version of the Mickey will still be in Disney’s possession and will continue to be the ambassador of the Walt Disney Company in the future.

3 Likes

You know, after the introduction of Winnie the Pooh and Piglet into the public domain last year, this isn’t really a surprise, tbh. Everyone will soon follow suit, as we cruise through 2024.

Not only we’re getting a horror movie, we are also getting a horror game based on steamboat Willie. Public domain is completely crazy with people making horror content including those characters, like Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, and Bambi, which are also getting horror films.

1 Like

this one is actually quite interesting to me. Though I still find it extremely annoying the every Disney public domain character is getting a horror movie (:unamused:) I think a peter pan one could be really interesting and good even. Totally depends on the production and acting as Winnie the Poohs lacked so much. The story could be really good if they don’t just make it another slasher.

Anyway, now that it’s legal to do so, let’s post the original! Here’s the first cartoon Disney released with Mickey Mouse (although it was the third one produced), and one of the earliest cartoons to use synchronized sound:

2 Likes

Might be a weird thing to say, but I do think that an arrogant flying guy with a knife who can steal children and chops off people’s hands is actually a decent pick for a horror movie. At least fits more than Winnie or Bambi.

2 Likes

bambi is definitely an odd pick for sure.

PerBlue Entertainment | Terms of Use | Cookie Policy | © Disney