Today is Atlantis: The Lost Empire 20th Anniversary!

…in a single day and night of misfortune, the island of Atlantis disappeared into the depths of the sea. -Plato, 360 B.C.

On this day, in 2001, Atlantis made its debut on American theaters

Sooooo Happy Birthday for my beloved childhood movie! :heart::partying_face:

princess kida atlantis the lost empire gif

tumblr_mfypppDZec1rb8oa9o1_500

tumblr_n7zftmpIvw1t0874bo1_r1_500

AgileClearBluefintuna-size_restricted

Also I wished to post it on General Chat but I wasn’t able to, so if any mod can do that, I thank
PeacefulInbornAyeaye-size_restricted

12 Likes

Since I already posted, now I can share my fanart here (Mrs. Santinni is my nick for mostly of games I play and my art signature lol)

14 Likes

20 years ago, these people made a discovery that forever changed the world.

HAPPY 20TH ANNIVERSARY!!!

3 Likes

Happy 20th Birthday Atlantis TLE!

Thank you for bringing a strong female lead into the Disney universe:

2 Likes

Oh, is it really? This was such a good movie!

(The sequel low-key sucked, but, eh, that’s Disney’s brand.)

3 Likes

I need to see this movie someday since it’s a really underrated gem like other Disney films like Treasure Planet. Happy 20th Anniversary Atlantis! Don’t forget that later this year, Pixar’s Monsters Inc. is also turning 20, one of my childhood movies!:wink::+1::partying_face::birthday:

1 Like

Actually, the sequel was originally a tv series, but when Disney decided to cancel it, they repackaged it into a direct2release movie.

If they’d left it in it’s original format, it might have been better.
Basically, you’ve got three or so disconnected episode plots mashed together into a “movie” and a tacked on ending to “finalize” it, it was never meant to be released this way.

3 Likes

Ye, I heard about that. The movie wasn’t popular enough so… boom.

2 Likes

The movie is so underrated but I like it even though I was born a month after this

2 Likes

Despite the movie flopped at the box office, but the movie is still as really good. Anyway, happy 20th anniversary to this underrated animated Disney movie!

2 Likes

I am always confused by that claim:

Budgeted at around $90–120 million, the film grossed over $186 million worldwide, $84 million of which was earned in North America.

I thought any movie that earned more then it’s production cost was considered a success. :thinking: :woman_shrugging:
But maybe it was just greed, Disney wanted more then that margin and got angry they didn’t earn what they wanted, so punished the movie/franchise by cancelling it.

2 Likes
PerBlue Entertainment | Terms of Use | Cookie Policy | © Disney