An Autistic Disney Character

No one is saying the idea is unrealistic. The discussion was invited to people by OP and we are all giving our thoughts on what this could look like and what this could look like if done poorly.

Also I hate to be “that guy”, but an autistic character isn’t creative nor is suggesting one amazing or brave or -insert overused positive adjective here-. I am all for inclusion and having more representation in media of all forms for special needs and other minorities, but I am not in favor of inclusion for the sake of inclusion. A character simply has to be a good character and what umbrellas they fall under should be an after thought.

A good character has dreams, flaws, purpose, emotion and above all else has to be believable. If you create a character with the mindset of, “Okay let’s make a character that has autism” that character will be inherently poor versus the mindset of character creation such as, “Okay let’s make a character who has a dream, who wants to accomplish something, who has friends to support them, who has shortcomings, etc.” Then through minor actions or speech patterns or the lack thereof hint at them having such disability. The character can admit to having it but not from minute one.

This is all coming from someone who is disabled, who has had developmental disorders and who has been wanted to be seen as Rothan the person not Rothan who is disabled. So perhaps there are my own biases at play but I don’t believe that to invalidate my points said here and above.

5 Likes

Their shouldn’t be a Disney movie about someone with autism it will just make people feel different and if you don’t want that don’t make a movie just so you can have an autistic character

Look, it may sound ridiculous that an autistic person can become a hero or even one of the heroes. Many of you may laugh or scoff or, for the autistic people, have doubts about the idea that an autistic character can do great thing and possibility change the world for better, fictional or otherwise.

But lets not forget what company were talking about. Disney as well as it’s associates, are much more than a place where princesses find their true loves or pirates that go on swashbuckling adventures or even a galaxy far far away. It is magnet for toons that are extraordinary, that can bring a smile to anyone face everytime we see them.

I mean, it true what Rothan said, that a person has to be brave or kind or what ever the case may be. But most of you are forgetting one isty, bisty, but ever so crucial, little, tiny, thing… potential.

How many of you have sat in a room with a person with specials needs and say to yourself “Oh, this guy won’t change the world, he not fooling anyone.” or “Hey, don’t bother with that bozo. He’s a waste of time.” That’s because you fail to see the potential hidden under all those quirks. And can promise you without a single shadow of a doubt, once you see the potential in this character, you will sit at home and think to your self. “Hey, maybe this person isn’t so bad as i thought, maybe i should cut people like him/her some slack. Because maybe, just maybe, this can really do great thing.”

The point of the matter is that it works, it’s crazy but it works. There is so much we can learn from them. There is so much potential they have and this character, this amazing, wonderful, underdog of a character can help us blaze that trail.

1 Like

I have never thought that, in fact I have read/watched multiple true stories of blind/lame/mute people making an impact.

3 Likes

Sorry I cant get deep thoughts, its difficult for me. However I want to think about Dumbo. His ears were so bigs that he became a laughingstock in a show. But big ears saved himself finally.

Some Disney movies tells us what you think as deficient is excellence, virtue. I hope Disney csn do the same for autism.

2 Likes

The same can be said about the hunchback of notre dame

1 Like

No one has been laughing or dismissing the idea of an autistic character. No one has written off the idea of an autistic character making the world a better place in their own fictional world or the impact that will translate into the real world.

You are misinterpreting time and time again our concern and trepidation towards an autistic character as refusal to accept that possibility and refusal to see the value of such a character. We all know how much a character would mean to the kids and parents of kids who are on the spectrum, but we also acknowledge the harm that a poorly executed character can bring.

It is also not because we think Disney can’t properly handle mature themes or handle themes in a mature manner. Look at The Lion King and how it handles loss. Look at The Hunchback Of Notre Dame and how it handles accepting those who are different and the cruelty of those who don’t. Look at Frozen 2 and how it handles self discovery, depression and even had a main character not so subtly hint at suicide. Look at Toy Story and how it handles growing up, change and abandonment. The list goes on and on.

The main issue that has been brought up time and time again that you skim over or refuse to acknowledge is the idea of Disney creating an explicitly autistic character would not only invite criticism much in the same vain that Le Fou from the live action Beauty and the Beast recieved for being the first explicity homosexual character. It would also take away the interpretation that many kids and adults who grow/grew up with Disney of a character’s subtle flaws or hints of mental disorders/handicaps.

No one is scoffing at this idea and shame on you if you think our criticism of this idea is of us “laughing” at the concept. As someone who has best friends who have different forms of special needs and has special needs themself, nothing could be more insulting than the words you assume coming out of my mouth are anywhere close to the drivel you exemplified.

5 Likes

That isn’t Disney it’s Pixar

But it still counts as Disney

1 Like

What you fail to understand is these concerns and trepidations that you speak of come from a fear of what was and what might be.

See, alot of people nowadays like to look at the cup as half empty. But there are other, who like to see it as half full. You focus too much on the negative that you don’t see the positive.

So, instead of focusing what damage it can do, think about how can build up instead of tear down. Think of the educational value it can possess. Think of how much awareness it can bring to the autistic community. Think of the positive reinforcement it can bring to so many people.

Sure, it COULD bring critism (emphasis on could) but, it could also bring praises and love to it as well.

2 Likes

I am glad you are so positive, but sometimes the glass is half empty. The negative and positive reactions to this are like anything else with negative and positive.

But here negative is higher, glass half empty. Disney has the potential to make a great movie, or ruin in and offend people. If they make a mistake it changes there name. Glass half empty.

I have to disagree on this. I am not denying the good it could do but I have to be realistic about the bad it could do as well.

The opportunity to create such a character is one that if done well will absolutely bring about teachable moments and positivity into a subject that is oft times seen as negative and has strong discrimination surrounding it. However an autistic character at the end of the day is not needed, at least an explicit one isn’t.

As I have tried to point out time and time again is that children on the spectrum already have role models in multiple different movies and cartoons as well as the various Disney parks having a lot of actors and other staff who have recieved training in dealing with mental disabilities. The positivity is already there, it exists, it is real. The thing you so desperately want Disney to accomplish is already done.

My biggest fear and apprehension is towards the idea that an explicity autistic character will ruin such positivity. It is a risk that I don’t think should be taken nor is it one that I believe Disney will take, because if they mess up that character, especially in the day and age of the internet, it will not be forgotten and such a blunder will cost Disney millions.

This also falls under the assumption that Disney can do no wrong which is incorrect. Take for instance the 1946 hybrid live-action/animated Song Of The South. A movie which was lambasted by the NAACP for it’s depiction of a slave-master relationship. This movie has become infamous even despite winning many awards and being the origin of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah. Because of the controversy surrounding it, it has never had a home video release and is notably missing on Disney+.

Song Of The South exemplifies how wrong a Disney movie can go and while this is obviously a worst case scenario that every Disney movie faces, I am almost certain that a movie with an explicit autistic lead is not in the realm of possibility simply out of fear of ruining their relationship with different special needs charities and the kids and parents of kids in the spectrum.

1 Like

Rothan, let me ask you something. Do you have anyone in your family that is autistic or know someone that is on the spetrum?

Yes my best friend and little brother were both considered on the spectrum because of their ADHD tendencies. I also was in a special needs PE where I became friends with many kids my age who had various forms of developmental disabilities and even one kid who was wheelchair bound, non-verbal and had a full time caretaker.

All right, do you want them to go out into the world and grab life by the horns? Do you see anything in them that just screams out: “HEY MAN!!! THIS IS A GUY THAT CAN REALLY CHANGE THE WORLD!!!”

Here’s a question for you. Can you really imagine Disney making a movie with an autistic character flawlessly? Yes, or no?

Yes i do, and i can assure that viewer this character, quirks and all.

I feel like if anyone can pull this off, it’s going to be Pixar. Just an opinion :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

pixar is still Disney tho

But Pixar can be (and has been) better than Disney themselves

PerBlue Entertainment | Terms of Use | Cookie Policy | © Disney