Trick or Treat Contest (aka Fortify the Network, but even less F2P-friendly)

I’ve been one of several players asking for new scoring opportunities to be added to Fortify the Network (FtN), in addition to just spending diamonds and stamina. This is something that’s been done several times in the past for special occasions, similarly to the Trick or Treat contest starting Friday, October 29. Seeing the scoring for this contest, though, I fear I’ve been misunderstood, @Loutre; I was wanting the added scoring opportunities to be a way for someone to reach 1M points if they didn’t have quite enough diamonds and/or stamina, and that’s definitely not the case with this contest:

dhbm_211028a
dhbm_211028b

So, on server 2, if I spend 12,500 diamonds (which I might be able to do, thanks only to the bonus from the Prize Wall Hero Quest) as well as 122,300 stamina (which means spending most of those diamonds on Get More Stamina), I’ll collect 692,250 points - over 300,000 points short of the final progress reward. There is no earthly way for me to make up that shortfall with diamonds and stamina unless I want to spend a lot of money to do so; thus, I’m going to have to get a lot of points from the offered heroes, most of whom are fairly (or very) new.

Let’s start with Creep Surge. There’s five heroes that can potentially be used for seven Creep Surges during the contest; that’s another 39,550 points. If everyone in the guild posts all five heroes as mercs, and everyone shares them equally, that can be doubled to 79,100 points; of course, I could always increase that total by hiring more than my fair share, but I’d like to think y’all aren’t intentionally designing the game so that people have to compete with their own guildmates in order to get the progress prizes in contests, so let’s leave it at 79,100 points. We’re now up to 771,350 points, with City Watch as our final source of points.

Assuming we’re able to use a hero in all 15 battles in City Watch, we can earn 7200 points per hero per City Watch; in order to get the remaining 228,650 points, we’ll have to do that 32 times in a week. If someone’s able to carry two of the five heroes through all 15 battles of City Watch, they’ll need to do that every day of the contest, plus use nine more resets, whether banked or earned from Challenger PvP winnings. If someone is able to use three of those heroes in City Watch, they’ll need “only” four resets, although if they’ve been able to afford upgrading three or more of those heroes, they’re probably not F2P.

TL;DR: Congratulations on making the least F2P-friendly contest even worse for anyone who’s not a whale. As helpful as those 30 badge crates on the top tier of progress rewards would be for me, there’s absolutely no way I can get a million points, so I don’t see the point in trying, meaning less time playing the game and less incentive to make another purchase.

(And yes, I’m well aware of how incredibly unlikely it is that my feedback will lead to any changes, but after the rough week I’ve had at work, I had to vent about this contest. Maybe it’s my fault for hoping we’d get an easier contest for Halloween, rather than this slap in the face.)

18 Likes

Well, considering the Fortify the Network is now a Certified Cash Cow of PerBlue (no one can really go against it without getting a lengthy response from me, personally), the “balls” will never be dropped. Which is sad really, because the other contests are usually in the difficulty terms of very easy to medium. Yet this one is always ball-dropping, spend everything you can. And if you don´t have anything hoarded, spend money.

After Loutre (and I think even Polaris before) said that Fortify the Network “reflects the economy of servers”… yeah, that just means that the contest is averaging expenditure of anyone in the server, making it not F2P at all.

4 Likes

the point scoring are really really really horrible

in server 14, we would only get 683k points from spending the “ideal” diamonds and stamina

it’s gonna be very difficult to make up around 300k points from city watch and surge battle with those 5 heroes

PB has “forced” the players to promote Zeus to gain more rewards in prize wall
now you “forced” us to promote these 5 heroes to earn 1M in contests?
as Jody said, carrying all those 5 heroes throughout 15 city watch battles is impossible for most players

perhaps PB can have a look at the numbers again or at least any response about the reasoning behind these horrible points-scoring scheme would be appreciated

2 Likes

I think it’s a bug, but it’s not reflected in the creep surge score.

Even using the specific characters on surge battle, it hasn’t counted as contest point, on server13.
Is this working as intended?

1 Like

Looks like we got a serious bug there @Loutre… maybe the team can add points for that part of contest for everyone depending on the amount of days?

If it stays till the end like that… uhm… 12x Surge Fights for every character. (12 x 1130 x 5 x 6)

Also, City Watch pointing does not work with Quick Fight, likely the entire part was rushed.
So that would be at the very least 5 x 15 x 480 x 6 points.

The points taken from server 1.

Getting a fix for this in soon, but also working on the login issue first.

5 Likes

Looks like quick fight points may be delayed.

1 Like

Getting a fix in for the Creep Surge bug now and the quick fight in City watch is working the point rewards are just delayed.

3 Likes

Does it mean that even if it is late, only the number cleared will be reflected in the score?

now that the issues have been solved, any statement from PB regarding the sudden decrease of points in the contest and the sudden increase in difficulty to gain 1M points?

Lol, we wish.

1 Like

Raiding in Surge* mode doesn’t give points with selected heroes in the contest…

Is it what you are talking about quick fights?

If not, well raiding should count since you win with them anyway :sweat_smile:

*Edited my bad translation hahah

are you kidding? I hope you mean Surge by that, Invasion of course gives no points.

Yeah sorry talking about surge, it translate to invasion in french, I always do the mistake :sweat_smile:

Thank you for fixing it!

Unfortunately by now, 3 1/2 years after launch of DHBM, it’s abundantly clear, that this game was never intended to be FtP friendly and never will be. Especially during contests.
Even if you do the math and prepare yourself meticulously expect the point trash hold to be pushed again.
Contests like this one with heroes FtP players rarely have in a playable condition aren’t feasible.
The metrics show, I guess, the bunch of heroes that are the most neglected by the majority of the player base and are being chosen to feature those contests, accompanied by deals corresponding with this heroes.
This contest design is being used from day one when S1 was beta. I don’t expect it ever to change.

6 Likes

Server 21 hasn’t even hit 200 players at 1 mil yet this is by far the worse contest of all time perblue I mean this contest has sucked all the fun out of the game for nearly everyone that’s not a whale and your just making that precious free2play and pay2win gap even larger on server 21

4 Likes

i want to share my thoughts with this contest

first, background about me: i’m not f2p, but i only spend max $5 per month for stamina deals, but haven’t done so in the last few months. i’m also a serial hoarder with >1000 stamina pack and >20k diamonds hoarded for months.

initially i want to skip this contest since i don’t want to spend more than my hard-earned 15k diamonds, especially when the contest points are low after i spend the first 11k diamonds. I also couldn’t rely on points from cw and surge since all those 5 heroes are still very weak

in the end, i am planning to get to 1M with buying a $5 stamina deals of 2400 stamina pack, my first buy in 4 months. then using the stamina, i managed to level up zeus and get the price wall 5000k diamonds rewards

personally, i am happy that i can get the 1M points with just $5 spending, while also leveling up zeus (and getting 5000k diamonds from the prize wall) and some other heroes. however, the 1M progress rewards and the upcoming top 10% rewards are not good enough to justify more spending than this

i believe that it is possible for a few of f2p players to get 1M points if they have hoarded enough resources and able to spend them efficiently, but spending all that hard-earned resources would make them unable to gain enough resources for the next FTN in 3 weeks, especially if the requirements keep increasing

i hope PB can review the players’ performance during this contest and compare it with the previous FTNs and rethink the point scoring system

4 Likes

it really is not… on one of my alts I happen to use all 5 heroes in CW and it would be barely enough for 1M had I not skipped today´s CW entirely… aka raid.

1 Like
PerBlue Entertainment | Terms of Use | Cookie Policy | © Disney