Ursula Fights in the Arena!

Greetings everyone, it’s been a while since I posted anything. No, this is not a guide—my written guides will have to wait. But I really did wanna post something eventually!

I present to you the Dark Horse. Ursula the sea witch has fallen out of favour in the last couple of years, but her ability to potentially deny action with extreme prejudice is something that I’ve always respected and feared. Let’s take a look at how she fairs…

• My Ursula is equipped with Crab Mentality, which takes advantage of the fact that she is backed up by Jasmine and Donald. Having two other Control allies gave Ursula an early boost of Energy.

• Jasmine helps manage Energy flow of the battle, stealing chunks of Energy along side Ursula to help cripple the enemy team’s energy gain.

• Animal and Hercules are meant to apply a lot of physical pressure with their knock backs. This allows my team to more easily reach Joy, their defensive core.

• Donald is crucial especially at the beginning. He absorbs the sapping effects of Hook’s disk, allowing Herc to become invincible just in time. After that, he’s mostly relegated to ranged chip damage.

• Ursula is the actual star of the team. My current roster prevents me from forming a composition that matches the overwhelming brute force of the current meta (because I’m poor). But with Ursula’s skillset, it’s possible to overcome the meta in a “brain vs brawn” kind of manner.

• Hex denies the enemy team their chance at retaliation. The Energy drain from both Ursula and Jasmine further shrinks the enemy team’s opportunities in those moments when Hex is not active.

• The Enemy team’s Donald is a HUGE problem. Donald can actually absorb Hex and can also turn it against me at any point in the fight. This time, I got through with sheer luck. Their Donald wasn’t able to pull through when it really mattered.

• My team is not capable of overwhelming damage, so instead I relied on more unorthodox methods to have a chance at victory.

• My Ursula is not fully optimized. Yes, she’s at the max level cap and the current max rank (at the time of posting this topic), but she doesn’t have all her badges, she has no mods equipped, and her friendship disks aren’t maxed either. She did just fine here, but I bet a player with even more resources than I do can do so much more with her.

15 Likes

It never ceases to blow my mind whenever you find a strategy that uses characters you don’t see a lot these days. I’m especially happy that you found a way to make Ursula viable again - or well, as viable as she can be in this meta :sparkling_heart: :sparkling_heart: :sparkling_heart:

6 Likes

I’m actually surprised there aren’t more players using her. Her Hex is a great way of preventing important heroes like Beast, Duke Caboom, and Joy from using their White Skills. Heck, she can sometimes even stop Randall from sneaking into the back.

7 Likes

I think the main issue lies in Ursula being very frail, although you proved that you certainly don’t need Mods to pump her HP and Defenses up for her to be useful

Looks like I’ll have to dust off my own Ursula, especially since the Beast is giving me trouble in the Arena

Also, wow, I never knew she could act as a soft counter to Randall! Though I suppose in retrospect, I should’ve remembered she had a knockback move, Ruler of All the Ocean

4 Likes

Oh, that is exactly the issue with Ursula. In this case, having Herc becoming invincible and Rajah with his ridiculous HP was certainly helpful. They stand to take most of the aggro, relieving Ursula from a lot of pressure. Even then, she does tend to stand too close to the front and that does make her very susceptible to damage.

5 Likes

I agree with your “Brains over brawns” ideas. Cause i have to do it too, but not as good as yours, both because my heroes aren’t maxed out (1 intentionally) and my team uses energy gain only from Wall-E. My team uses Hiro(Ba), cause he has 400 energy at the beginning, and he spawns Megabot after 4 seconds of “actually combat” (the amount of time that isn’t frozen by the White Skill activation). But this is not good against Capt Hook, and i know i should level Donald up, but i’m waaaaay poorer than you are…
It’s a different strat, but it’s for poorer chaps such as me :frowning:

1 Like

Ah, yes limited resources means an even more limited hero pool. It’s really hard to keep up with this game, it’s true. And it’s even harder to invest on enough heroes for you to switch around.

Before I had Donald I found that Timon & Pumbaa(St) and Rafiki(Ja) bought just enough time with their defenses for my team to survive Hook’s sapping powers just long enough to use their white skills eventually. Still it’s very difficult to rise against the meta. But sometimes, something can work—and it’s usually the most unexpected thing.

1 Like

Yeah. I didn’t expect the same team would keep surviving in the meta for 6 months. Luckily, the meta is still aggro, tho somewhat shifting to tempo with the new batch of characters, but i think i’ll manage.

Donald is indeed one of the best characters rn. As a player who uses Hiro since he came out, I can say that his bot can counter most characters, but he’s not very powerful without that. You’d better build some SP mods on him though, since you need his bot to have more HP than Donald in order to counter Randall (one of the reasons I prefer the Darkwing disk, but in this case probably not). The other 2 characters (keeping Wall-E for boosting Hiro) would probably have to be a strong support/healer (For example Joy, or even GMN in this team) and a decent damage dealer, and this strategy would be great. Just make sure that Wall-E isn’t the frontmost, bc he’s very frail.

Without wanting to undermine the team (it’s clearly good), I’d argue that this isn’t exactly ‘anti-meta’ - Animal, Donald & Jasmine are all very popular and very much part of the current meta :stuck_out_tongue:

Swap the enemy Duke for Animal and most teams would have a much more difficult time defeating it

I’d like to start by saying I never claimed this is as “anti-meta” in this post. But there are reasons why some people that bumped into this topic would be inclined to think of it that way.

But actually, using a character that flies under the radar is kind of the whole point here. The nature of this game dictates that characters that are overused have minimized the variety of teams. So using an unpopular character and allowing that character to make a tremendous impact in an environment where they’re supposed to fail is kind of a miracle in this game—a miracle the defies expectation. So if it defies expectation, that is, by definition, “anti-meta”.

True that Animal, Jasmine, and Donald are very much part of the upper echelons of usage at this time, but Ursula is certainly not. Yeah, she only makes up for one member of the team, but it’s really thanks to her that this team worked. And that’s the whole point of this video. I brought her into the table because I believed she offered something that defied the meta, and that it was worth sharing with the hope that it “shakes things up” because findings like these gives us a chance to stimulate the meta. Most teams look the same. Mine is arguably just a variation of what’s popular because 3/5ths of my team is “meta”. But that Ursula? I’m very proud to have made something that allowed her to stand there. I post videos with the hope it inspires other players (with more resources than I do) to do things more unexpectedly.

3 Likes

I would say this specific video gives people false hope, but at least you included the phrase “sheer luck” in your description haha.

PerBlue Entertainment | Terms of Use | Cookie Policy | © Disney