Wave After Wave: An Invasion Guide

Introducing another Guide! I’ve been making Guides lately that it’s getting irrelevant nowadays. And now this Guide might be more irrelevant, especially with the Tier Change, which may have been released in the 1.9.2 Update, and the fact that this has been long overdue.

I was planning on taking a break from DH:BM, but since they released Collections, I think I’ll stay for a while… to create another Guide…

Anyways… this Guide is about Invasion, Tips on Completing it, etc., all the interesting (not really) parts.

What is Invasion?

Invasion, formerly called Tournaments, which was teased in the 1.3 Patch Notes, was released in the 1.7 Update for Server 1, the 1.8 Update for Server 3, and the 1.9 Update for the rest of the Servers.

Invasion has two parts - the Breaker Quests and the Boss Battles - and a lot of more detailed mechanics.

Breaker Quests
What are Breaker Quests?

Breaker Quests are the “Solo” Mode of Invasion. Win 20 Breaker Fights and earn boosts at the end of every Wave, but be warned, as you progress, the difficulty goes Higher.

Breaker Fights cost 10 Invasion Stamina while Ward Fights cost 5.

You can Retreat from every Fight and try all over again, but instead of losing 1 Stamina every time you Retreat, you lose 10 or 5 Stamina, depending on the Fight you Retreated from.

Breaker Fights are set at 3 Stars, and their Rank and/or Level changes with the Server, meaning that at one Update, the Fights are easy, but the other Update, the Fights can get significantly harder. Enemy Heroes have no Badges equipped, and 1 of their Discs equipped at 3 Stars.

Ward Fights are set at 1 Star, and their Rank and/or Level Changes with the Server (see details above). Enemy Heroes have no Badges equipped, and 1 of their Discs equipped at 1 Star.

Breaker Wards

Breaker Wards give Buffs to the main team in the Breaker Quests. Defeat them to remove their buff and make the Breaker Quests easier!

Before attacking any lineup, whether it’s a Ward or a Breaker Fight, always check the lineup and judge whether a Direct Attack or a Ward Attack is needed. Not all Wards need to be defeated, as they are very optional.

The list of Breaker Wards are as follows:

Armor%20Increase Enemy Armor Increased
As the name suggests, this type of Ward increases the Enemy’s Armors, making them more durable to Normal and Basic Attacks.

Only attack this Ward if your Team is comprised of Normal Attacks, i.e. Merida, Jack Sparrow, Calhoun, etc.

Attack%20Speed%20Reduction Attacker’s Attack Speed Reduced

This type of Ward reduces your Attackers’ Attack Speed, kind of like Yax’ Purple Skill.

Only attack this Ward if your Team has a Burst Damager like Quorra or Zurg, if you want to do quick work of the enemy, or if you think your team needs the boost they need.

Basic%20Damage%20Increase Enemy Basic Damage Increased

This type of Ward increases the Enemies’ Basic Damage, which will be bad if the Breaker Lineup is composed of Creeps who deal Normal Damage.

Only attack this Ward if the Breaker Lineup is mainly comprised of Creeps who deal Normal Damage, i.e. Jack Sparrow or Merida, and/or if your Team has low Armor.

Damage%20Reduction Attacker Damage Reduced

This type of Ward reduces your Attacker’s Damage.

Only attack this Ward if your Heroes deal a lot of damage, i.e. Nick, Merida, or Jack Sparrow

Disable%20Immunity Enemy Disable Immunity

This type of Ward makes the Enemies immune to Disables. The list of Disables are:

1. Stun - stops all action
  2. Silence - stops all Skills from Activating
  3. Charm - stops White Skill from Activating
  4. Freeze - delays all action
  5. Blind - stops Basic Attacks from landing

Only attack this Ward if your Team specializes in Disables, i.e. Tia Dalma or Maleficent

Enemy%20Tank%20Durability Enemy Tank Durability

This type of Ward makes Enemy Tanks take more damage. The enemy Tanks will be harder to fight if the Enemy HP Increased Ward is active.

Only attack this Ward if there is a Tank that you need to defeat easily/immediately.

Healing%20Reduction Attacker Healing Reduction

This type of Ward reduces all Healing for Heroes.

Only attack this Ward if your Team has a healer, i.e. Sulley & Boo [Wo]

HP%20Increase Enemy HP Increased

This type of Ward increases the Enemy HP, which makes fighting Tanks harder, even harder if they have the Enemy Tank Durability Ward Active.

Only attack this Ward if you want the enemy team to be defeated easily/immediately.

Reality%20Increase Enemy Reality Increased

This type of Ward increases the Enemy Reality, making them more durable against Fantastic Damage.

Only attack this Ward if your Team specializes in Fantastic Damage, i.e. Nick

Shielded Enemy Shielded

This type of Ward shields the Enemies.

Only attack this Ward if you want the enemy team to be defeated easily/immediately or if the team that this Ward powers up has a Shielder i.e. Calhoun [Vi], Baymax, Nick [Ju]

Skill%20Power%20Increase Enemy Skill Power Increased

This type of Ward increases the Enemy Skill Power, which makes their Skills deal more damage.

Only attack this Ward if the Enemy Team has high Skill Power.

Skill%20Power%20Reduction Attacker Skill Power Reduced

This type of Ward reduces the Attacker Skill Power, which makes their Skills deal less damage.

Only attack this Ward if your Team specializes in Skill Power, i.e. Nick

Support%20Control%20Energy%20Reduction Support and Control Energy Gain Reduced

This type of Ward reduces the Energy Gain of Support and Contol Heroes.

Only attack this Ward if your Team specializes in Support or Control Heroes and/or if they need an Energy Boost.

Tips and Tricks

Consumables

The Consumables - Power-ups, Revives, and Boosts - are there for a reason: to help you out in Invasion.

As much as possible, don’t hoard these Items, use them as much as possible.

Lineups

The lineups you use for the Breaker Quests are necessary to get through the Waves. I’m not very good at giving combos, so some suggestions will be appreciated. Here are some good combos:

1. Sulley and Nick - Nick is the King of City Watch, his Specialty is Fantastic Damage and his Lemmings stack, dealing more damage upon each use. Sulley’s Active doubles Nick’s Damage, making them deadly to enemies with low Reality.

2. Barbossa and Jack Sparrow / Merida - Jack Sparrow and Merida deal Burst Damage and they have Skills that boost Basic Damage, making their Attacks more powerful. Barbossa’s Active boosts his Attack Speed and Studies enemies, making their Normal Attacks deal double the damage, which can prove deadly to enemies with low Armor.

There are more good combos that will make Invasion easier, you just need to find out which ones they are.

Boss Battles
What are Boss Battles?

Boss Battles are the Second Half and the “Team” Mode of Invasion. The main Enemy for this Mode is The Mama Bot.

You can attack Mama Bots found by you, your Guildmates, and your Guild using Breakers, which can be obtained via Breaker Quests, Invasion Shop, and Supply Crates.

Deal x1 Damage for the price of 1 Breaker and deal x5 Damage for the price of 3 Breakers.

Be warned! A Mama Bot is not something to be underestimated. She can spawn other Creeps that aid her in battle and slow you down.

Tips and Tricks

Know your enemy

The Mama Bot starts at Level 5 and increases by 5 Levels upon each defeat, making her more durable to your attacks.

She uses this pattern whenever you fight her:

1. Attacks using a Normal Damaging Blast
  2. Spawns a Brute, a Blue Hoverbot, and a Purple Hoverbot
  3. Gains an Attack Boost which grants her an Increase in Damage and Attack Speed
  4. Attacks using a Normal Damaging Blast
  5. Spawns a Purple Skeleton and 3 Automatic Turrets

She repeats this pattern until she is defeated or the until timer runs out.

NOTE: The Mama Bot is immune to Disables - Charm, Blind, Stun, Silence, Freeze - but she isn’t immune to debuffs, i.e. Armor, Damage, Skill Power, Attack Speed, and Move Speed Decreased, and Cursed.

Consumables

NOTE: I just copy-pasted this from the section above, I hope you don't mind.

The Consumables - Power-ups, Revives, and Boosts - are there for a reason: to help you out in Invasion.

As much as possible, don’t hoard these Items, use them as much as possible.

Lineups

NOTE: I just copy-pasted this from the section above, I hope you don't mind.

The lineups you use for the Breaker Quests are necessary to get through the Waves. I’m not very good at giving combos, so some suggestions will be appreciated. Here are some good combos:

1. Sulley and Nick - Nick is the King of City Watch, his Specialty is Fantastic Damage and his Lemmings stack, dealing more damage upon each use. Sulley’s Active doubles Nick’s Damage, making them deadly to enemies with low Reality.

2. Barbossa and Jack Sparrow / Merida - Jack Sparrow and Merida deal Burst Damage and they have Skills that boost Basic Damage, making their Attacks more powerful. Barbossa’s Active boosts his Attack Speed and Studies enemies, making their Normal Attacks deal double the damage, which can prove deadly to enemies with low Armor.

There are more good combos that will make Invasion easier, you just need to find out which ones they are.

NOTE: The Mama Bot is immune to Disables - Charm, Blind, Stun, Silence, Freeze - but she isn’t immune to debuffs, i.e. Armor, Damage, Skill Power, Attack Speed, and Move Speed Decreased, and Cursed.

16 Likes

Well, I certainly wish I had this when Invasion first came out, figuring all of this on my own was hard enough xD It’s a very complicated gamemode. Good job on writing that one out!

I don’t agree with Attack Speed Reduction ward though, this cr*p is just too punishing… For me it’s ALWAYS a priority to get rid of

2 Likes

Umm… I think the Mama Bot is immune to disables.

2 Likes

What do you mean by that? I didn’t list anything involving Disables that can beat the Mama Bot.

I’m saying that the Mama Bot is immune to freeze, stuns, etc. Shouldn’t this be included in the warning?

2 Likes

Oh, thanks! I’ll add that.

You’re welcome. :wink:

2 Likes

Then you should probably add that she can still be knocked back or pulled and can be slowed, that’ pretty important too

2 Likes

so, all the time then :wink: each team colour has plenty of these that most people should be using at least 2 of. Nick is really the only main damage hero I use that isn’t really affected by it.

Here are some other (very basic) tips and tricks:

1. Don’t spend more than one breaker on any Mama Bot. The rewards just aren’t worth it. The only exceptions should be when you’ve already reached max rewards and are just helping out the guild.

I am surprised at how many people in my guild don’t realize this. They’ll summon/attack their own bot and then they’ll attack it a second time to ko it. What a waste. Even just the participation rewards on another bot would be more than what you get for finishing off your own with a second attack.

1. Buy breakers from the shop when possible (starting when the shop refreshes on Tuesday). Once you’ve gotten past around the 60th breaker battle, you won’t need to get more breakers that way again. Just buy the breakers from the store. I find myself easily getting the max rewards by Tuesday. Remember that when going for the tiered rewards, the thing that gives you the most points is fighting mama bots which you do with breakers, so getting breakers should be your main goal. Coincidentally, fighting mama bots also gives you the currency you can use to buy breakers from the shop. So get breakers, fight mama bots, and get rewards that let you buy more breakers.
5 Likes

I don’t think Mama Bot can be knocked back (she already in the very back) or get pulled forward (she is way too heavy and she always summons more enemies in front of her)

1 Like

She can. It’s not far, and doesn’t have any purpose whatsoever except for making your life harder. Knocking backwards can cause some of your shots to miss, plus characters have to walk towards mama bot wasting precious time. Pulling towards front (damn you Woody) is even worse because creeps spawn between your backliners.

5 Likes

I would argue power-ups are more important to purchase before breakers. Not only do they allow you to progress further in the breaker quests (giving more breakers), but allow you to scale your damage better as higher bots are being unlocked. That means you can maintain 10% damage bonus rewards as well, which is small, but adds up over a lot of bots.

I’ve focused on keeping enough coins to buy power-ups on reset every day and buying breakers afterward and I’m currently up to breaker quest 145 and climbing with 240k points and still have 48 breakers (without buying any yet today). Not everyone will be able to do that cause my team is pretty solid (still plenty of work to do for red), but I’ve seen the benefit of focusing on power-ups first.

I’d also like to add that you should know what team you plan to use ahead of time and focus power-ups on those heroes. The way I’ve prioritized is to always choose my best damage dealer when they pop up, add to a support/control every so often as needed, and power up everyone when my tank pops up unless they are starting to have survivability issues.

Depends entirely on heroes available though. A tank like Sulley would definitely want the power-ups, whereas goofy has naturally high survivability so doesn’t need them as much. Same with breakers. If your guild is active enough you can rack up coins quick and easy by hitting once and moving on. In some smaller/less active guilds that can be troublesome though. Big thing is helping your guild as a whole understand how it’s beneficial to everyone to hit once for ~10% then leaving it. If 6 people hit a bot, that’s a lot of extra points for each individual (using 1 instead of 3 breakers), and that adds up to more points for the guild placement as well.

1 Like

Well, of course, there’s a difference between people who just want the tier rewards so they can stop and people who want to see how far they can go in breaker quests. If all you want is the tier rewards, there is no point to ever going up past around the 60th breaker fight. Getting to stop playing invasion on Tuesday is also a reward in itself.

Oh and mathematically speaking, unless you have a character that needs a lot of help, NEVER get the individual hero powerups. On average, if you got a +5 to one of your top 5 heroes each time, that’s an average of +1 to each hero in your top five. BUT if you choose a +1 to all heroes on the team, you get a +1 not just to your top five but also to all the others. So the +1 to all is better, if less satisfying.

1 Like

If you actually need other heroes, sure. If my tank survives fine and I can boost my damage dealers instead, it makes it all the easier to mop the floor with breaker quests and I do more damage on mama bots.

Again, depends on your team and goal, but I’ve had no issues with my damage dealers being 100+ levels higher than my tanks. I can fight a L185 mama bot currently without losing a hero and do 10% damage. Granted, Hiro is stupid good so it’s much easier to do on red invasion since his megabot tanks like a champ. I’m also the type to push just to see how high I can go.

I actually did some math on this a while back.

For my example, say you have 18 heroes on yellow team. Over the course of the invasion you earn/buy 40 powerups.

If you always use the +1 team option, that increases all 18 heroes’ power by 40. 40 x 18 = 720 total powerup points issued at the end. Your heroes who started with 5 points all end with their power at 45. Your heroes who started with 2 points all end with their power at 42.

If you boost your main 5 yellow heroes and only your main 5 yellow heroes every time with the +5 option (say it’s a miracle, and you are always able to boost one of those five, and you wind up boosting them all evenly), 40 powerups evenly distributed between 5 heroes works out to 8 boosts per hero. 8 x 5 = 40 points for each of those 5 heroes, no points to anyone else. 40 x 5 = total of 200 powerup points issued. Heroes that started with 5 points still at 45 at the end; heroes that started with 2 points are still 42 by the end.

But that’s in a vacuum. So okay. Let’s try for a more realistic scenario.

Lisa is focusing on 8 heroes of her 18. For the 40 powerups, some of them she is able to use on one of her 8 heroes (not evenly), and the rest she uses as team powerups. Michelle decided to choose a top 5 and stick with them throughout the week. How do their teams work out by the end of invasion? Here’s where the charts begin; I don’t remember which heroes started at what value, so forgive me for picking some arbitrary “random” numbers.

(Because f*** if I’m going to format those tables into comments…)

So what I’m gathering from this, is that spreading the +5 powerups over several heroes (more than 5) reduces the top capacity you can get from any team of five that you send into a fight.

Whereas choosing 5 heroes from the start, focusing +5 powerups solely on them, and going +1 when one of those 5 is not offered, seems to give the strongest total results for a team of 5, regardless of how the RNG distributes your options.

It’s interesting to note that going all +1 team powerups can give you a top 5 with an overall equivalent boost to choosing a top 5. But you would have to use the top 5 to meet that mark, so it kind of negates the point of having brought up everyone else with them.

If you’re trying to buff up every single member of your team evenly (maybe you have every single hero completely maxed out. Or you’re doing some sort of Ironman challenge where you aren’t using revives. Idk? WTF are you thinking Christine?) those are the only times it possibly makes sense to go +1 with every powerup. Otherwise, if your goal is to advance as far as possible in invasion, decide on your 5 strongest and concentrate on them the whole way through.

TL;DR: Be like Michelle, not like Lisa.

2 Likes

The math is not complicated. A +5 power up gives you 5 points of power up for your team (but all on one hero). A +1 power up gives you 5 points of power for your team of 5 heroes (not clumped up on one hero) as well as powering up other heroes in case you need them. Which is better?

My point was (and still is) that unless you have bizarre circumstances where a particular hero needs a lot more boosting, more than 5 is better than 5 so the +1 is a better option. Even if you ONLY care about the top 5 heroes, it is at least equal to the other option. And avoiding randomness always works in your favor which is why the +1 option is still the superior choice even when you ONLY care about the top 5 heroes. In one invasion, I had bad luck and one of my top 5 heroes NEVER was an option (at least not until way too late in the invasion). Because I was dumb enough to use the +5 power up option, that particular hero was crippled throughout that entire invasion. So that’s why the +5 power up option is always always always the worst option (except in the bizarre circumstances previously delineated).

You keep saying more than 5 is better than 5, but that literally ONLY matters if you use more than 5 heroes. It’s not the worst option as you continue to state. Unless you plan to auto-pilot for minimum rewards, +1 to all WILL be outclassed by selective powering up as has been explained.

No worries though, we can agree to disagree. I just wanted to make sure other information was out there for people to read and decide for themselves.

I can see your point, it would definitely be more consistent. Especially having seen my results this week, where Goofy and Quorra have gotten the lion’s share of my +5 boosts. I haven’t minded that, because Quorra is my one fantastic damage dealer (also running Merida, Darkwing Duck and Mickey), and Goofy is, well, Goofy.

I would like to test it for myself and see what my results are, compared with my normal results (how far did I get in breakers, how far in bosses, what were everyone’s point totals, etc.) Probably not next week (because blue team, ugh) but sometime in the near future, I’m going to try it out your way and see how my results compare to how I’ve been doing it.

Instead of just copy-pasting heroes under tips and tricks, you should add Hiro Hamada to bot battles. He was a game changer after someone recommended him. His bots tank and keep your heroes alive for much longer. He’s a great choice if you find yourself low on revives.

3 Likes
PerBlue Entertainment | Terms of Use | Cookie Policy | © Disney