An Issue Regarding Sexism with the Game/Forums

I think people are putting words in my mouth. I did expect you to have a different opinion and I appreciate you sharing it. It is a open forum and you have your right to free speech. As someone who does speech and debate this is also important to me.

Yes! Just not as directly. Does that make sense?

That makes sense.

Things I have found offensive featuring explanations (do not feel offended)

I might be reading this wrong but something is off about it.

It is not to be political at all.

There are ways you can do it. Support heroes are a great way to use those older characters that are not fighters.

This is true, but again that is something wrong with society in general. I would love to see more female characters in supporting roles and stuff that we have not seen before. Pixarā€™s Luca is going to be doing this through the character Guilia and I am so excited. Bonus is that I am Italian.

Does not mean that there cannot be more.

Spam comments that were flagged and I am not even going to quote them.

To reflect the human population more, but I see what you mean.

See if I were to do that, I would be the one getting attacked. Even when I implied it I was. I do not because of the fear I have and I am sure others feel the same.

Something I noticed when scrolling I wanted to just casually talk about. The movie I wrote only specifies the gender of a character for this reason and we did not even think about that. There are other statements I could say something to prove my agreement but I got stuff to do today.

1 Like

A potental way to resolve this issue would be to incorporate the newer franchises, which are specifically focussing on more powerful female leads, Raya being the next closest one to release.
Judging from the trailer, thereā€™s only one secondary male in a group of females.

Also, as I said above, for whatever reason, theyā€™re intentionally disregarding a source of more female characters.
My theory is they arenā€™t utilizing tv series for some reason.

While The Little Mermaid was the standard girl wants to marry boy story, I remember thinking, Arielā€™s not your typical damsel in distress, the start of the movie is her saving the male lead from drowning and at the end, she physically attacks Ursula.

This was always my favorite version of Spiderman:

Four spiders in one universe (Peter, Miles, Gwen and Anya).

1 Like

Well two, the fellowship of butt kickery dude and the letā€™s go kid. But yeah, and I agree. I like the Spider-Man 2017 show also. Anya is a especially underrated Spider and I wish more discussed her.

But you want there to be tanks, not supports? Kinda seems like a controversy.

If it is true, then what is wrong? I donā€™t understand.

Uhā€¦Perhaps I missed it between Ariel chillin on the waterless ocean floor and being shot at with lightning, but where exactly did she attack Ursula?

I thought the little mermaid had a great compromise. Eric is saved by Ariel then saves Ariel in the finale. Except for the part where they both pretty much helpless without the aid of crabs, seagulls, and fishā€¦Nothing wrong with a movie having a strong animal character. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Well if a support is where they would be best in, there is nothing wrong with that.

I think it needs to matter up to a certain point. Having more female characters in all different roles should happen but storytelling should not be negatively affected by it.

Little Mermaid was one of my favorites when I was younger and it still applies. I do not think Ariel is just someone who wants a prince and I liked her for the stuff that was not as obvious.

Arielā€™s curiosity about the human world was what interesting about her, not just her interest in wanting a prince or whatever. She serves as a great allegory for young people that are curious and eager to try new things, at least that is how I view her.

Same there.

1 Like

Well, as I far as I can tell, because the females from the older franchises were not particularly tankish or combative, it would be hard to find one who fit in something other then support roles.
So between a choice of not having them at all or having them in support roles is the decision that has to be made.

Here is Ariel getting aggressive with Ursula:

2 Likes

I think that people can see anyone as a role model, regardless of whether or not theyā€™re alike, but seeing someone like you is something special. :thinking:

Itā€™s been surprisingly civil here? :no_mouth:

That looks like sheā€™s bad at giving neck massages

PB may be straying away from characters that Sorcererā€™s Arena has been using, to try and attract new players with ones SA doesnā€™t have. Hence oddballs like Rocketeer and Powerline.

EDIT: There is zero reason for this to have been flagged. It doesnā€™t break any rules.

10 Likes

What about Kingdom Hearts? Ariel got her hands and fins dirty when she fought against the heartless.

This is my point summed up.

Once again we are ignoring what I want to try to shift conversation towards.

1 Like

And here I am wondering, just why was this flagged?

EDIT: Not just Pawpsicleā€™s comment, but Joey Cannoliā€™s too

5 Likes

Invalidating someoneā€™s feelings much? It does not have to be uncivil to have a certain negative feeling or emotion. :no_mouth:

Ah, thanks. I havenā€™t seen the Little Mermaid in a long while. :sweat_smile:

:thinking:

Iā€™m afraid Ariel made a poor speed dive. She should have tried to snatch the trident away. Jasmine knows whatā€™s up in Aladdin. Still, A for effort, Ariel. :grin:

I havenā€™t any experince with the franchise (Though itā€™d be cool to) but isnā€™t itā€¦not canon?

You want females to talk about their experiences of sexism within this game and forums. Quite Franklyā€¦okay, know what? Iā€™ll just poll it.

• Iā€™m a female forumer
  • Iā€™m a male forumer

0 voters

More than likely their will be a male majority. Since there is mostly males on the forums, you will probably be hard pressed to find candidates to discuss this thread with what you want it to be.

Honestly, I get it completely. Itā€™s an awful feeling when a bunch of people disagree with and debate you on a point you feel you are right on. To that regard, Iā€™d suggest most of us backing off if we wish to continue this as a debate (against Imagineerā€™s wishes).

I suppose Iā€™ll be doing the same.

7 Likes

I just thought it be worth mentioning. :blush:

Alrightā€¦ I know exactly what is happening here. Whoever receives this notification cut it out. If you want to talk let me know.

And if you really want honesty, this thread and what I have received because of it has made me recognize how toxic and unwelcoming the forums and the game can be. I was probably going to leave regardless of this thread.

1 Like

Well, to change the subject finally like Imagineer wanted to do. I guess Iā€™ll be the first to share some experiences Iā€™ve had relating to the issue.

And of course, because I am a male, I cannot begin to explain how female forumers/players/fans of Disney feel. I can only shed some light on what itā€™s like to be a male Disney fan. Or at least what itā€™s like for me.

My Experiences

So I guess since I generally have not faced a issue of pure sexism, I can shed light on a issue of a preconceived notion.

So a preconceived notion about males would br that people think all we would like is Marvel or Star Wars because we are a male. I myself can heavily relate to this. People (more than one) have often judged me immediately, they often completely question my being a Disney fan and immediately assume I am a Marvel or Star Wars fan because I am a male.

Granted, they are not wrong. I love both but that does not mean that just because I am a man means I have to love both. I could say I love Disney Princess movies, I could say I love classic Disney, I could say I love Pixar, etc, no one has the right to just assume what you like or what you do not like just because of your gender.

And also, sometimes Iā€™ve been told that I canā€™t understand stuff about Disney because Iā€™m ā€œMasculineā€. Sometimes, what people have said (not even just in the game or forums) has really hurt me and discouraged me from being a Disney fan. But I have pulled through and just tried to do the best I can as a fan.

But enough about me

I really wish for you all to just try to empathize with Imagineer. Just because maybe more of us are males does not mean we should not even attempt to understand how females may feel.

No male can understand how a female is, and vice versa. Weā€™re wired completely different and thatā€™s okay. But empathy exists. And we must find a way to come together as people and as friends and realize that the issues present in the game and in the forumsā€¦often comes right from us. From me. From you, doesnā€™t matter who. It isnā€™t just males either.

I really didnā€™t want to have to make a comment like this to avoid going on a soapbox but honestly, it really is frustrating me to huge degrees. Just please try to understand how Imagineer and other female and even male forumers may feel. And maybe sharing your experiences will help with that.

We all have a dream and we all have a goal, but we do face obstacles. But what makes us who we are is not what happens to us, but what we do about it. How we react to it. How we change because of it.

Just reflect on this quote

More connects us than separates us.

But in times of distress, the wise build bridges. While the foolish build barriers

We must find a way. To look after one another. As if we were one single people.

That is all for now.

3 Likes

I said CAN be. I never said ALL THE TIME. I am very appreciative of my award and that you are enjoying my other lighthearted threads.

Read what @Commander-Rex wrote about empathizing and you will understand. I am making general statements here.

2 Likes

Certainly, a sweeping generalization and a rather offensive one at that.

Didnā€™t want to say anything more, but wow, that was quite a bold thing to say when nobody has said anything rude or disrespectful.

For the future, if you want to be impactful, it would be best not to alienate nearly everyone on the thread with a statement like that just because they donā€™t agree with you.

12 Likes

Although I am male and cannot understand exactly how you feel @Imagineer_V, I have faced anti- semitism ( I hope I can share that I am Jewish here and not face backlash) in of all placesā€¦ my drama club (which was doing Seussical at the time, which does have a Disney feel to it) A person made an anti-semitic commentā€¦ and there is anti-semitism and sexism in places where there really should not be.

Just an idea so there is a balance of male/ female in game

If everytime they add two heroes at a time, one of them is female and one of them is male, this would not be as much of an issue.

when they add one character for the month, it should alternate between male and femaleā€¦

But like @Commander-Rex said, if we treated everyone with respect and empathy, we would make it further in life- enjoyment.

2 Likes
PerBlue Entertainment | Terms of Use | Cookie Policy | Ā© Disney