DH War QoL Improvements

War V2

Overview
Earlier this month we announced that there are some big changes coming to War. Over the last couple of weeks, we’ve fine tuned and tested many adjustments to give our biggest feature a much-needed refresh. We’re pleased to finally be able to share the changes with you, which will become live with the 4.7 update slated for next week. There’s a lot to read, so grab a coffee or cup of tea and settle in!

War League changes
One of the biggest changes we’re making to War is how the Leagues work. We are removing the win-to-promote behavior and replacing it with true MMR ranges. This means that a single Win will no longer guarantee that your Guild moves up to the next League. Guilds will only climb to higher Leagues if they meet that League’s MMR Requirement.

|626.2813807882933x101

• League MMR ranges will be as follows:
    • Unranked - 0
    • Copper 1-199
    • Bronze 200-399
    • Silver 400-599
    • Gold 600-799
    • Platinum 800-999
    • Challenger 1000-1199
    • Legendary 1200+

Once a Guild reaches a League, its MMR cannot fall below the minimum MMR for that League during that Season. This also means that active Guilds cannot fall below 1 MMR as a result of a Loss.

Matchmaking and Season End Changes
In response to feedback from players that War is producing redundant matches, we’re going to change several aspects of our matching system. Matches are going to rely heavily on our newly adjusted MMR formula (matchmaking rating, or a value that determines the skill level of each Guild).

• Matchmaking and MMR Adjustments

• Guilds are going to be matched solely based on MMR.
      • Leagues are no longer taken into account.
    • We’ve also adjusted our MMR formula to make Wins more rewarding while making Losses less punishing on a Guild’s MMR.
  • Season End Changes

• Season rollovers will now reset all Guilds’ MMR while rewarding high-performing Guilds from the previous Season.
    • Here’s how Guilds will be sorted into their starting positions when a new Season begins:
      • The top 10 Guilds (by MMR) are sorted first, with the Guild in 1st being reset to 700 MMR. Guilds ranked 2-10 will decrease by 10 MMR from that first Guild. It looks like this:
        • Rank 1 - 700 MMR
        • Rank 2 - 690 MMR
        • Rank 3 - 680 MMR
        • Rank 10 - 610 MMR
        • This puts the top 10 Guilds in the middle of the Gold League.
      • Then, the Guild that ranked 11th will be reset to 599 (top of Silver League).
        • Going in order of rank (by MMR), Guilds 12th and below will be reset relative to the 11th place Guild.
      • This is where the War Season will start.
    • Unranked Guilds
      • Guilds that didn’t make at least one War Attack in the previous Season will have their MMR reset to 0 and will NOT receive any End-of-Season rewards.
      • Unranked Guilds will no longer show in the Guild List for any Leagues
      • Unranked Guilds can return to War later but they will not receive Win Rewards on their first win

Rewards
We’re increasing rewards across the board and making them better for everyone. Expect to see some new rewards when you reach the top! The Win and End-of-Season rewards have been revamped for all Leagues to be more in-line with the current game as well.

• Win Rewards

• Win rewards will continue to be distributed through the War Boxes, and will still use the, “draw three / pick one” system.
    • Win rewards are now based on the Guild’s current League instead of the number of wins they have.
      • If you win a War that bumps you up to the next League, your rewards will be based on the League you were in DURING the War, NOT your new League.
  • End-of-Season Rewards

• All Leagues now receive End-of-Season rewards!
    • End-of-Season rewards will be distributed through the game’s Mailbox upon Season end instead of through War Boxes.

|624x287.98980317762874

• You’ll get ALL of the rewards set for your League, no more “draw three / pick one” for these.

• The Top Five Legendary Guilds now receive exclusive timed rewards!

• These get activated automatically upon Season end and will last for the entire next Season before they expire.
    • Exclusive rewards include:
      • Avatar Borders for players and their Guild
        • The Guild that finishes the Season in 1st will receive:
          • |203.99999999999997x161
        • Guilds 2-5 will receive:
          • |219.00000000000003x164
      • Drop Boosters, which increase Gold, Hero XP, and Skill Chips gained from Normal and Elite Campaigns respectively.
  • Drop boosters have 3 tiers that increase drops by different amounts

• The 1st place Guild will receive the Large Drop Booster

• The 2nd place Guild will receive the Medium Drop Booster

• The 3rd-5th place Guilds will receive the Small Drop Booster

• Removing Legendary League Reward Multiplier

• We’re removing the reward multipliers from the Legendary League. Since the rewards are increasing and will be better overall, we felt this multiplier was no longer necessary. It also caused some issues for us on our end.

Car Bonuses and Perks

In the refreshed War, Car bonuses will scale with the game by using a percentage instead of a flat number. Each Car bonus, 1-6, will increase the perk’s value by 0.25%. Here’s an example:

• Car Bonus 1-Level 1 is now, “Reduce attacker HP by value: 1%”
    • Level 2 is, “Reduce attacker HP by value: 1.25%”
    • Level 3 is, “Reduce attacker HP by value: 1.5%”

There will be more Guild Perks and ways to spend Guild Influence coming in an update following 4.7

New Sabotage Perk Icons
We’re changing these four icons to make them more distinguishable in the game.

38 Likes

So excited!!! :slight_smile:

I got a review is: “Two Thumbs Way UP”!. Also that reminds me the new invasion is coming soon

1 Like

Looks awesome :ok_hand:

1 Like

Lots of things here that sound good, but a few that seem cause for concern :fearful:

Mostly:

Holy cow, there’s a lot of rewards in that screenshot. I really hope that those don’t diminish too much with decreasing rank. Players getting collected up into the top guilds leaving the rest to flounder is already prevalent, and people would seriously consider jumping ship to move up if there’s a huge reward difference.

Same concern as the one above :thinking:

Why could these items not be distributed in Guild Perks instead? Then they would be available to all, rather than the same 200 or so players every season.

The MMR and League system changes, the changes to sabotage and the icons (lol) all sound great. Hopefully we’ll no longer have to purposely lose in order to win :man_shrugging:

11 Likes

Honestly this is one of the best updates in a very long time, and it was so badly needed, so thank you to the team @Samm

Couple of concerns / questions:

I am concerned that if the rewards for top performing guilds are outrageously higher than the rest, it will promote top players to gather in top guilds, leaving less competition overall for a server.
Currently the rewards were small, so there were still active competition.

Also concerned about guild hopping to get multiple rewards for a season (similar to the exploit used in contests a few months ago), will there be a tracker to limit rewards received in one guild?
And similarly, if the guild receives the rewards, 50 people get them, what if 5 of them leave and 5 new people join, will they also get the rewards?
I see a possible loophole of people jumping in and out of guilds to get top tier rewards at the end of the season.

Much needed!
But 0.25% for 16 levels is kind of low, equalling only 4%
unless these are going to be expanded too:

Also, YES!!! It is about time!
Any possibility of war car points being reworked in the future?

Is this only for sabotaging? Can the same be done for mods please as it is nearly impossible to distinguish them on a normal mobile phone without taking a screenshot, zooming in and enhancing the image… :frowning:

And finally the big question that is causing a lot of frustration for guilds in war at the moment

How many times in a season will a guild be matched against the same guild?

7 Likes

So, overall it looks very promising; from the looks of things there’s no further need to throw matches in order to rig our MMR (which got kind of amusing at times, but still, I’ll be happy to play at 100% from now on). The downside of that, of course, is increased stress in terms of trying to win every time out… but we’ll learn to adjust.

@Captain_C, your goal is within sight.

I just hope this applies to all game modes, and not only war. It would be great to tell which skills have been boosted in Arena and Coliseum, for starters.

This is my main concern, as well. No doubt some would say that’s just the natural order of things, but I honestly think it’s better for the game if there’s a wide variety of guilds in terms of competitiveness and activity, rather than just a couple dozen elite guilds and the rest being only “filthy casuals”.

Yes, I’m hoping there’s some sort of control for this as well. Even if it’s what we currently have, with guilds prevented from facing the same opponent for roughly two weeks, that will help limit the repetitiveness inherent in MMR matching.

6 Likes

Just to be sure, what happens with my currently owned war crates? @Samm

5 Likes

Okay, I’m going to try and answer some of these to the best of my ability :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Concerns about people migrating to top Guilds because the rewards are so good
Guild membership is controlled by the Guild’s leaders. In my experience, you’re not really able to just move into any Guild you want. They set level requirements and some don’t have open membership, or even take applications for new members.

End-of-Season Rewards are also being distributed to ALL Leagues now, so we think even if you don’t make it all the way to top, you’re still going to be pretty happy with what you get.

Drop Boosters for Top Five Legendary Guilds
We want to give these ranks something special, something unique. Something that makes it feel really prestigious.

Guild Hopping
There should be a cooldown when you change Guilds that locks you out of rewards for 24 hours. They’re not sent when the cooldown is over. This prevents people from leaving/joining Guilds to double-dip on rewards.

I don’t have an answer for, “How many rematches will there be in a season?” We will of course be monitoring our changes and making sure things stay mixed up here and not boring.

5 Likes

As someone who’s played for nearly all of the game’s 5 years, and been in guilds ranked from 1 to 100 and in between, sadly this doesn’t paint the full picture of guild membership.

If you’re in a guild ranked below the top 20 and have substantial hero power, not a day goes by without someone from one of those top 20 guilds trying to tap you up. No guilds are full - everyone’s got inactive players to shift.

It’s very difficult to keep hold of strong members as a guild lower down the ranks.

In any case…

If that’s the case, hopefully there’s no exacerbation of those issues :slight_smile:

The borders I’m 100% behind, we already have exclusive cosmetics for top ranks in different modes and it gives some prestige without affecting game balance at all.

Having the same 200 players (and it will be the same players :stuck_out_tongue: ) get a permanent boost to campaign rewards every season doesn’t seem like a balanced way to give that prestige :man_shrugging:

8 Likes

In the spirit of ant man opening weekend, I use this gif towards new guild perks that been a broken record that wasn’t getting fixed for a long time…

6 Likes

The Drop Boosters are mostly useless anyway. They don´t change the badge bits, which are the most essential after all. Hah.

Although true… Gold, Hero XP and Skill Chips are needed by F2P players. Mostly.

@Samm I know a bit off-topic but hopefully Mercenary Costs in Surge can be changed someday soon.

4 Likes

Thank you for the response @Samm

This is true, however the move to top guilds for more rewards have been increasing over time.

Take server 25 for example:
Top guild has power range from 3.83B to 8.26M = total power of 42.69B
Second guild has power range from 3.53B to 103M = total power of 35.7B
Third guild has power range from 1.12B to 2.58M = total power of 14.21B

Currently there is competition between the top guild and the second guild, because they are close in power and because the war rewards currently are small, it is fine.

However, if the rewards for the top guild is 100X (X being used as items) and the second top guild is 50X, this will just make the top 25 people from guild 1 and guild 2 to merge to get the best rewards, killing any competition in the server due to the massive gap in guild 1 and “new guild 2”
therefore reducing the fun of playing wars, invasion, etc. which leads to people quitting because they are bored.

Now, this is just a quick discussion, and I know that there are more things to consider - but this is what happened to a lot of other servers before they eventually merged and became more competitive again.
But the point and concern for us is that if the rewards are that significantly higher for top performing, lower guilds will never be able to catch up, which just diminishes their motivation to keep playing.

8 Likes

This is good to hear, because this is not the case currently.

If I am in guild A and we only hit bronze rank, and I join guild B just before the season is over, I still get the legendary rank rewards from guild B

4 Likes

I kinda feel the same thing.

If the rewards are going to matter and 1st guild gets relevant AND significantly better rewards then I am really afraid what´s gonna happen.

But then again depends what the rewards give anyway…

Looking at the pic there though if the rewards stay that way I don´t think too many people would change guilds. Also depends what the Drop Boosters do… if it´s like 4x, 3x, 2x or… something.
Still kinda funny they have the likeness similar to the other bags but don´t boost badge bits, but hey ho, that would break the game.

5 Likes

That’s what I’m hoping for. If it’s, say, the top 5 guilds that get crazy good rewards, and guilds 6-50ish get good rewards that aren’t too heavily tilted in favor of the higher ranks, I don’t see too much changing; if it’s more like the top 10-20 guilds get showered in rewards and everyone else gets breadcrumbs, that might accelerate the accumulation of top-tier players to solely top-tier guilds.

7 Likes

Also depends what the top tier prizes are.

If it’s the same as in the picture provided… well I am quite doubtful about it.

19 Likes

I will follow-up with the team about this. We’ve had it in our other games.

15 Likes

I can understand the concerns that were brought up here, but I think we’ll have to see how it all shakes out once things are live. We did our best to maintain balance, and if things turn out in a way that’s not fun we’ll look for a solution.

14 Likes

This should be interesting and exciting at the same time!:star_struck:

8 Likes
PerBlue Entertainment | Terms of Use | Cookie Policy | © Disney