[Discussion] Raya and the Last Dragon

I think sometimes people have to pick apart movies just to find something bad about them. Raya is a good example of this I guess. Same goes for the Star Wars sequels and some Marvel films.

To avoid a argument, I’ll just leave this alone…

And I big agree on this. I love how he stans Tamatoa so much. He’s so iconic.

We can take this to a PM.

But thing is, the bad thing about Raya isn’t even that hard to find. The character development of many characters are bad, except for the main three characters. There are also many things going on in Raya without much emphasis on them, like the five lands and the dragons.

2 Likes

That is personal opinion though :woman_shrugging:

And from a story standpoint not all the side characters would have full development. Development for Sisu, Raya, and Namaari was more important to the film as a whole.

1 Like

Without it sounding bad, I don’t really think Boun, the big dude, Tuk Tuk or Noi were expected to have much development, they are obviously supporting characters.

The trinity right there are the hallmark of the movie, it seems.

Exactly.

1 Like

The fact that I like in this movie is that it doesn’t pretend to be something epic or meaningful. It’s basically a road trip, which main priority is to entertain viewers with fun chatacters, colourful locations and some fight scenes. I had no expectations for this movie and it surprised me in a good way.
Both Raya and Sisu are very enjoyable on screen. I was pretty afraid after the trailer that Sisu might become annoying, and the jokes might be not fitting the setting(After that school project one), but no, I can’t remember her saying weird things again. Raya, not much to say, I think they did a great job at balancing her between serious stuff and jokes.
Namaari gave me mixed feeling, especially during the first half of the movie. I just wanted her to be more active, more intimidating, like an old-school Disney villain, while she just “Nah, my people will do it”. A good thing IMO that they gave her much more options to shine later.
Side characters…well, they’re enjoyable, but there are just too many, which doesn’t give time to any of them or us to remember them. The shrimp boy is the only one who is kinda essential for the plot, cause he provides transport to travel. Noi, the monkeys and the NotShanYu guy don’t have enough to actually remember them. However, all were still fun to watch.
The ending is so simple that…funny. I can understand Namaari and her mother redempting, cause they were just afraid to get blamed, but the Talon leader…she is 100% evil! Even other Talon people say she is evil. But yes, this is still more of a nitpicking.
I’m not sure if $30 are worrth it, but when the movie comes for free or if you have theaters working, go check it out. It’s nothing super special, just a fun, beautiful and entertaining movie.

2 Likes

I know this discussion was a long time ago, but i thought of another good friendship for Raya. (Actually it’s more of an frienemy rather than full-blown friend). I know he’s not in the game, but i believe Kaa would be good choice

That makes no sense.

4 Likes

I find Sisu funny

I think it is because of the “Trust in me”

1 Like

If they were in the game I would say For Raya’s friendship I would think it would be
Sisu and Mulan and for Sisu’s friend ship I would think it would be Musu and Slinky dog

… Why Sisu/Slinky?

Because they both animals with long bodies even though slink a toy just like how Raya and Mulan are from south east Asia

That’s wrong… Mulan is China. Raya is Southeast Asia. Let’s make it more just the fact they are warriors.

1 Like

That doesn’t make sense. :no_mouth:

That’d be like saying Dash and Mushu should be friends because they’re both short

5 Likes

Right. I find friendships based on extremely superficial things like looks to be fake. The more thought that is put into reasoning the better.

2 Likes

They’re still from Asia

No no no and no you know what I mean by long bodies, I mean they have long bodies because they can do anything they can for example Slink and Stretch far and is able to reach things and can flip down things and Sisu May stand on 2 feet but she can also be long enough to reach things like how in one of the trailers when she and Raya were gonna sling across they stopped because Sisu back was still at the beginning that’s why

PerBlue Entertainment | Terms of Use | Cookie Policy | © Disney