Movie Corner

I think it was really just the sudden inclusion of spies when in Cars 1 & 3, no spies were there. Now, if a Cars 4 comes out, I would love to see Holly and Fin make a second appearance.

Good point. The spies might not have had the best introduction in terms of smoothnes.

Turning Red got nominated! Even if it is the least good of the nominations. Honestly a solid year of animation!

For streaming services maybe, but not for the box office. Puss in Boots was only one that did remotely well while Lightyear and Strange World didn’t do so well as anticipated.

But this year, we have Elemental and Wish and Illumination has Super Mario Bros. and I am confident that Elemental and Wish we’ll be fighting for the gold.

Bad Guys did well too.

Honestly, I forgot The Bad Guys also released last year.

Better and more interesting concept than other 3, but Puss is still the best.

Dreamworks released two great movies in the same year, and Disney is sleeping, only Pixar released something good.

My money’s on Turning Red and “Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio”.

Absolutely agree, but Turning Red will probably win because dIsNeY

I don’t think Disney anticipated Strange World doing well at all.

My favorite Pixar movie is Toy Story and fun fact it’s the first computer animation motion picture

1 Like

They don’t really expect their animated movies to do so anymore, what with them shelving the past few Pixar movies to Non-Theatrical releases and barely advertising their Walt Disney movies. Encanto got the same treatment as Strange World, but Encanto blew up once it hit D+.

The movie might have done better, if they’d done a better job advertising it, and didn’t just incessantly brag about one insignificant trait about one of the characters. After all, people usually become interested in a movie when they’re told what its story is about, not what its characters are into - especially when that particular trait has no relevance to the plot whatsoever.

It’s like the failure of the Arch Deluxe at McDonalds. By all accounts, it was actually a good burger, but they foolishly advertised it as a burger for grown ups - by showing children regarding it with disgust. This led to poor sales, which led to the burger’s removal from the menu.

Also, the release date of strange world was on thanksgiving.

Deep inhale.

Strange World was an awful movie. Seriously, I have never been so horribly let down by a movie in my entire life. Pacing was incredibly awkward, jokes were thrown in randomly left and right and a vast majority of them didn’t land as a result, and the movie was the absolute biggest waste of worldbuilding potential I have ever seen. They animated this visually stunning other world only to give it almost no background or context, and the very few explanations they did give for how that world exists and functions only resulted in more questions and no answers. I don’t think they even name any of the species we see. Not to mention, their attempt at a “twist villain” isn’t even an actual villain and that conflict resolves itself within about 10 minutes once the “villain” realizes what is going on. (Side note, what kind of a name is “Searcher”?) The reason they barely advertised this movie was because there was barely anything about this movie they could advertise except maybe the visuals. What a disappointment. I don’t ever want to see these characters get added to DH:BM, especially not before we start getting Encanto characters. :-1:

Rant over.

2 Likes

:joy:
Also revealing one of the big twists in the trailer.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t be the first movie to do that. If you saw a preview for Megamind, before watching the movie, then you’d already know that Metro Man doesn’t actually die.

By the way, I don’t disagree. I haven’t seen SW, nor do I intend to watch it. Just pointing out one of the reasons why it failed.

Which is usually a good weekend to open a movie on. This year, though, Disney had opened Black Panther: Wakanda Forever just the previous week, so of course anything opening during the second week of that film was going to see its box office suffer. So, yeah, another sign Disney didn’t have faith in Strange World.

Well, his father was named “Jaeger”, which is German for “Hunter”. So it’s another sign of Jaeger wanting Searcher to follow in his footsteps.

It’s true that the worldbuilding was minimal and the pacing was, at best, sloppy. But at its core the movie was about parent/child relationships and expectations, and I thought those themes were developed well enough to make it an enjoyable watch for me. (A secondary theme was about living in harmony with our environment rather than exploiting it, which is why the “twist villain” was actually a “twist temporary antagonist”, to more strongly focus on that theme. Which I thought was hammered home rather too obviously, but then again, given the political climate in the USA maybe it needed to be thunderingly obvious.)

1 Like

I’ll be honest guys I don’t like Frozen no offense

I thought the movie did okay in this regard, but imo there are just better movies out there that demonstrate this message just as well while having stronger plots and structure overall, like Encanto.

My gripe in that case is that as soon as the “antagonist” properly comes to that realization themselves, they immediately stop what they’re doing and follow along with Searcher’s plan, so the “twist” itself falls flat in that regard because of how short-lived it is. I think Disney could’ve done better in balancing between making a notable twist villain/antagonist and still sending the message about environmental awareness, but the way it’s actually done in the film doesn’t do enough with the former to make it seem very impactful or satisfying to me.

In other words, it feels like Disney tried so hard to teach certain lessons with Strange World that they neglected actually giving it a storyline and structure that was solid and properly thought out.

PerBlue Entertainment | Terms of Use | Cookie Policy | © Disney