Reviving dead topics

Okay so imagine you joined Dhbm forums and your look around and see discussions that have already ended so you talk about it and someone tells to not revive dead topics.

So can anyone explain why some people are against joining topics that are a few years old. it’s just like yelling at someone for mentioning something that happened a while ago or saying “you had to be there”.

I just want a simple answer to explain why people are always doing this

4 Likes

Cause it’s against the rules…duh

3 Likes

Why is it so hard to just follow the rules.

3 Likes

:expressionless: why do you hate me and why don’t you do anything else

2 Likes

Also I’m not hating on you I’m just saying to follow the rules

3 Likes

Number one I’m new to dhbm forums and number two did you call me a sock puppet

1 Like

Besides what does being “new to the forums” have to do with anything?

3 Likes

Also your not new it says your account joined the forums in 2020

3 Likes

Where did you find the rules

1 Like

I don’t really know it’s been a long time since I checked the rules

And how do you always find my projects

No

And sure, Leo doesn’t know the lesser known movies/episodes. Specifically Foxy from chicken little (1943)

4 Likes

I mean that’s true Sorry @First_Mate_Jafar_XLVI I wasn’t thinking straight

2 Likes

Nah it’s :ok_hand: also ALDT I’m glad to see someone who knows the original

1 Like

because it’s spam especially in announcements. the topic will go all the way to the top which is annoying as its irrelevant now. Either way whats the point of commenting on a old topic? it serves no purpose

1 Like

@First_Mate_Jafar_XLVI

I understand your confusion. But if users were allowed to revive dead topics, then the forum could get out of hand. Think about it. Hundreds, maybe even a thousand topics have been made. If everyone was commenting on that amount of topics, the forum would be complete chaos.

1 Like

This seems to have devolved into nonsense so I’ll explain here.

1. It’s not against the rules. There’s no actual rule that specifically says not to necropost at all. People here sometimes like to make up their own rules so that they can be seen enforcing them, but they are just arbitrary based on their opinion, and the only people capable of enforcing any rules are the forum admins.

2. However, it can be bad forum “netiquette” to revive a dead topic. If the discussion has ended and there’s nothing more to add, commenting on it brings it back up to the top of the feed and potentially gets in the way of more current, relevant topics. If your proposed comment isn’t valuable to others, it’s better not to make it (this applies to all areas of the forum, really).

3. However x2, if you feel that the topic is still in fact relevant, or you can add something of value, or you have a question pertinent to the original discussion - by all means pop it on the end of the old topic, as this is often better netiquette than creating a whole new topic for something that’s already been covered.

:slightly_smiling_face:

16 Likes

To add on to Pipsqueak’s comment, there is an official FAQ, and it does mention “necroposting” or “reviving dead topics”:

Do not necropost topics that are concluded. If you want to continue the discussion or have additional input on an old topic, that’s ok!

(emphasis mine)

So, pretty much what Pip said: It’s a bit of a judgment call, but I’d say that if the old topic is still relevant, and you have something productive to add (not just “I agree with this” or “This is silly” or “When is <insert character here> coming?”), then there’s nothing wrong with replying to a long-dormant topic.

For example, if you find a topic from three years ago with people making suggestions to improve Heist, and you have a new suggestion, then that would be fine, as Heist hasn’t been touched during that time so all the earlier suggestions are still relevant. If, however, you want to talk about war matchmaking and MMR, it wouldn’t be good to resurrect a topic from last year because the MMR and matchmaking systems have been changed since then.

12 Likes

How long has it been? :rofl:

Honestly, I think this whole “dead topic” racket is just a load of bull. Whose to say that their is such a thing as a dead topic when there are forumers out their young and old who can add their 2 cents in.

2 Likes
PerBlue Entertainment | Terms of Use | Cookie Policy | © Disney