The Walrus and the Carpenter - Character Concept Project

Disclaimer: This and future concepts will not and will never include Red Skills.

In anticipation of Alice in Wonderland’s 70th anniversary, I will be releasing concepts of characters throughout July, not only to celebrate it, but also in the hopes that more Alice in Wonderland characters get added next year.

Even if it’s just one new character (who could be the sign-in), that would still be better than a simple power-up event that supercharges Alice, the Mad Hatter and the Queen of Hearts, which is a rather bland way to say, “Happy 70th anniversary!” in my opinion.

@Polaris , what’s good lol

Forenote on Extended Friendships

Alas, I am sorry to say, I bit off more than I could chew when I was working on the Friendship stories and campaigns for Eeyore from a while back. As much as fun as it was to create an original story, Missions, and Friendship level ups, they took the most amount of time in the process.

Since The Walrus and the Carpenter are not the only Wonderland characters I’m creating concepts of, July is finite and I want to get all of my Wonderland concepts published this month, in addition to the fact that I do want to focus my time on other projects, I will not be writing out any Campaigns in the style that I did for Eeyore for the foreseeable future.

I will instead go back to a simple summary/blurb, which is what I used to do.

I apologize once more for this bit of news; perhaps when I have more time in the future, I’ll return and add them in on some later date. Maybe somebody else can pick up the torch in the meantime?

Character Portrait:

Name: The Walrus and the Carpenter
Star: :star2::star2:
Role: Tank
Position: Front
Trial Team: Blue

Quote: “The time has come to talk of other things: of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings, and why the sea is boiling hot, and whether pigs have wings. Callooh-Callay, no work today! We’re cabbages and kings!”

Bio: The Walrus and the Carpenter are a gluttonous, duplicitous duo who try to get the most out of a situation with minimal work. They lure unsuspecting enemies into a false sense of security before blindsiding them with a cane and a hammer.

The Walrus and the Carpenter have an enormous HP pool, along with great Basic Damage and Skill Power.

The Walrus and the Carpenter have okayish Defenses (Armor/Reality) and have low Evasion and Tenacity.

Their energy gain rate is Medium.

Note: On the Disney wiki, Callooh is written without the H, however, the original spelling from the books (along with autocorrect on Google Docs) uses the H, thus Callooh, instead of Calloo.

Movements

Entrance: The Walrus and the Carpenter walk into battle while swinging their cane and hammer respectively

Victory: The Walrus and the Carpenter hug and rub their stomach contentedly

Defeat: The Carpenter becomes furious before chasing the Walrus off.

Basic Attack: The Walrus thwacks enemies with his cane while the Carpenter strikes enemies with his hammer.

Skills

White: The World’s Your Oyster

Skill Picture:

:sparkles: Fantastic Damage

Passive (Oyster Icon):

Pink Oysters Cartoon (600x555)|239.88399071925753x219.63132530120484

Active:

Bio:

Passive: The Walrus and the Carpenter gain 1 stack of “Oysters” every 3.5 seconds, up to a maximum of 20. 1 stack of “Oysters” reduces the effectiveness of Curses by 4%, up to a maximum of 80%.

Active: The Walrus and the Carpenter consume their stacks of “Oysters,” healing their team for 1985. They heal their team by an additional 1985 per stack of “Oysters,” up to a maximum of 39700.

The Walrus leads a bed of Oysters through the battlefield, pushing back enemies and dealing 2010 damage. Each Oyster deals 1005 damage and Charms random enemies for 1 second. How many Oysters are summoned and how long the Charm lasts depends on how many stacks of “Oysters” the Walrus and the Carpenter have.

The Carpenter builds a shack on the furthest enemy, stunning them and dealing 2016 Normal damage over the duration of The World’s Your Oyster.

The Walrus and the Carpenter cannot be interrupted and cannot be knocked back during the duration of The World’s Your Oyster.

Notes: The Walrus’ portion when “The World’s Your Oyster” is activated was inspired by the Broggy Bonker skill from Bowser’s Inside Story:

Green: No Work Today

Skill Picture:

Animation:

Bio: The Walrus whacks the Carpenter upside the head, shrugging off ailments. The ailment removal will fail if the ailments are from enemies higher than level 1.

The Walrus and the Carpenter reduce the damage of opening attacks by 85%, and nullifies their chance to Crit.

The damage reduction is less effective against enemies higher than level 1. The Crit nullifier will fail on enemies higher than level 1.

Notes: By “opening attacks,” I mean skills like Aladdin’s Magic Carpet Ride, Baymax’s Blast Off and Quorra’s Light Cycle to name a few. Presumably, that also includes Jafar’s Whirling Dervish with Scar’s Disk too.

Also, the Crit nullifier only applies to those opening attacks.

Blue: Like Cabbages and Kings

Skill Picture:

Animation:

Bio: Over the course of 6.5 seconds, The Walrus holds up a menu while the Carpenter works on making refreshments. While The Walrus has a menu up, all incoming damage will be redirected to The Walrus and Carpenter in addition to being reduced by 35%.

When The Carpenter is finished, he offers refreshments to the party, healing all allies for 1865 HP, as well as granting them 100 energy. In addition, 4 stacks of Hardy will be granted to The Walrus and The Carpenter, while 2 stacks of Hardy will be granted to allies.

The energy given will be less effective on allies above level 41.

Purple: The Time has Come!

Skill Picture:

Animation:

Bio: When the Walrus and the Carpenter are KO’ed, the Carpenter grows enraged and chases the Walrus.

The Walrus runs across the screen, knocking back and damaging enemies for 1871 Fantastical damage, while also removing enemy Hardies. The Hardy removal has a chance to fail on enemies higher than level 41.

The Carpenter deals 1951 Normal damage, Stunning three random enemies for 10 seconds while also removing 450 energy from the enemy team. The Carpenter will always land Critical hits with this skill.

The energy removal is less effective against enemies higher than level 41.

Notes: The Walrus removing enemy Hardies ensures that half of the enemy team will be incapacitated once the Carpenter Stuns them.

Numbers

39700 - 39700 is the sum of 1985 x 20
2016 - Tim Burton’s Alice Through the Looking Glass
2010 - Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland
1985 - Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass TV two-parter movie starring Natalie Gregory
1951 - Disney’s Alice in Wonderland’s original theatrical release
(December 27) 1871 - Through the Looking Glass’s original publication
1865 - Alice in Wonderland’s original publication
1227 - December 27 (1871) - Through the Looking Glass’s original publication
1005 - Half of 2010

Friendships

dialogue_timon_pumbaa

Timon and Pumba - A Feast Fit for Kings

Improved “Like Cabbages and Kings”

Disk Picture: A banquet table

LEVEL 1

If “Like Cabbages and Kings” heals over The Walrus and the Carpenter or an ally’s max HP, the extra HP is converted into 100 Armor and Reality that lasts for 2 seconds.

STARS :star2:

“Like Cabbages and Kings” heals 5% more, increases by 5% per Star, up to a maximum of 25%

Removes 1 Debuff/Disable. Increases by 1 per Star, for a maximum of 5

Armor and Reality duration increases by 2 per Star, up to a maximum of 10 seconds.

The Walrus and the Carpenter and Timon and Pumba are duos who both enjoy eating. Therefore, over the course of their Friendship campaign, they would bond over food and try out different establishments, while the usual Wonderlandian chaos follows them (along with the usual Creeps). Maybe the Carpenter even builds a recreation of Timon and Pumba’s former house from the original Lion King as thanks for introducing him and the Walrus to different types of food.

The Campaign would end with The Walrus and the Carpenter talking about going down to the City Beach to look for Oysters, while Timon and Pumba suddenly get a bad feeling from the statement.

Allies for this Friendship are Goofy, Hank and Dory, and Joy.

dialogue_linguini_and_remy

Linguini and Remy

All Work and No Play

Disk Picture: A carpenter’s tool kit along with a coconut drink

LEVEL 1

Cursed allies gain 100 Basic Damage and Skill Power.

STARS :star2:

“The World’s Your Oyster” removes 60 energy from the enemy team

Energy increases by 60 per Star, a maximum of 300 energy

Cursed allies get a speed boost by 2%. Increases by 8% per Star, up to a maximum of 34%

The Walrus and the Carpenter decide to go to Chez Remy for some fine dining. Just as they’re about to eat, a horde of Creeps break through and invade the restaurant. Patrons run out as platters of food are upturned and strewn about. In a fit of rage, the Walrus and the Carpenter go after the Creeps, derezzing each and every single one of them in a matter of minutes.

Linguini and Colette come out and thank them before sighing that it’s the fifth time in a month that this has happened. They would thank the Walrus and the Carpenter with more food, but during the entire fight, some other Creeps managed to sneak through the back and ransacked their entire supply of ingredients and cooking ware.

The Carpenter offers to help and does his best to rebuild the restaurant brick by brick throughout the Campaign while the Walrus tries to get out of it by suckering in other characters to do whatever tasks Linguini and Colette gave to him.

The Campaign ends with Chez Remy getting a massive upgrade, having been remodeled. The Carpenter is awarded with a huge meal while the Walrus is rewarded with a meager meal, as Linguini and Colette found out about the Walrus shirking off his duties.

Allies for this Friendship are Colette, Winnie the Pooh and Scrooge McDuck.

Ending Notes

I apologize for the immense size of some of the pictures/gifs - I was able to shrink them down in Google Docs, but I guess even that kind of modification doesn’t carry over here, which is a shame.

I realize that in my last concept, Eeyore, I teased the March Hare as the next concept I would be doing (kindasortanotreally). For those unfamiliar with my concepts, I usually post a gif along with some sort of phrase that’s a nod to the character I’ll be doing next.

Oh well, it’s fine if I did things out of order, just know that the March Hare is definitely up next, hopefully sometime next week.

@Polaris , I know that this is a little forward of me, but I do hope something other than a simple, dull supercharge event that lasts for a week is in the works for celebrating Alice in Wonderland’s 70th anniversary.

If you liked this, consider checking out my other sets.

101 Dalmatians
https://discourse.disneyheroesgame.com/t/cruella-de-vil-character-concept-project/528658 12

Cinderella
https://discourse.disneyheroesgame.com/t/cinderella-character-concept-project/229725 3

https://discourse.disneyheroesgame.com/t/lady-tremaine-character-concept-project/161991 2

https://discourse.disneyheroesgame.com/t/fairy-godmother-character-concept-project/195926 3

Snow White
https://discourse.disneyheroesgame.com/t/the-evil-queen-character-concept-project/342237 2

Star vs the Forces of Evil

https://discourse.disneyheroesgame.com/t/eclipsa-butterfly-character-concept-project/437884 5

(I also did one for Eeyore, though sadly Perblue beat me to the punch with him. If you’re still interested in what I came up for our favorite gloomy donkey, here’s the link:

Eeyore - Character Concept Project)

[Insert some line related to the March Hare - my brain’s too fried and it’s 11:20 PM lol]

13 Likes

The work put into this concept really shows :smiley:

Truly a great read! Your concepts are just amazing!

10/10

1 Like

I think the regeneration is too long. They’ll never use the active with 20 stacks of Oyster on auto

I don’t think there should be a cap on healing… especially healing that doesn’t depend on percentages…

Pretty weak, don’t you think? I mean, the animation wouldn’t (nor shouldn’t) last a long time, right? Also, this skill will be bad when the Walrus and Carpenter have their attack speed increased, because the animation will be shorter.

I suggest making the DOT last a specific amount of seconds.

Is this meant to counter Mulan? If so, interesting… but it is a bit OP. Maybe reduce it to 70-80%?

For how long?

Too much, isn’t it? I’d include this in a friendship disk.

A bit OP… I’d suggest removing the longest lasting buff.

I mean, if the duo are weak defense-wise, people can abuse it so that they remove hardy from heroes like Rapunzel, Baymax, and Tron. For this to work the duo just needs to be at the max level and be at P0.

That is weak… even for level 1…

I don’t think these are good allies… because there aren’t enough blinders. Goofy and H&D aren’t sufficient enough.

Why “curses” specifically? Sure, Davy may be meta, but changing “cursed” into “debuffs” would be better.

Wdym by this? You mean increasing energy storage?

Too random… also, shouldn’t it be 26%? Because the equation is 2 + 8(4). And the incline between one star and the other is a bit too steep. I suggest swapping it.

Those are all the flaws I could find. But good concept!

5 Likes

Interesting… I think someone is coming. But I will not spoil it.

2 Likes

Some feedback. I think it is really cool that you have put a lot of work into the concepts. I have never seen one from you, but it is really good. I will say that it was a lot to read, so for the future I recommend condensing everything.

1 Like

Thank you very much! :grin::heart:

Lol thank you for this, I felt it was a little too long, but I wasn’t sure. I thought about making it 2 seconds originally like Gerald Marlin and Nemo, but then thought, “Is that alright? To have them gain stacks that quickly?”

Maybe 2.5 seconds?

I’ll be sure to drop that; it was just a quick little inspiration thing I decided to indulge

I was inspired by Goliath’s White, with the whole channeling aspect, though obviously I totally forgot to make that more apparent :laughing:

I’ll change it to until they run out of energy.

Not just her, but also Quorra, since I noticed how her Light Cycle tends to Crit more often these days after her Refresh. Aladdin’s in there too.

I’ll be sure to reduce the percentage, hm, maybe 70 or 75%.

I’ll make the time more apparent - maybe 6 or 7 seconds?

Yeah, I’ll go scrap that and give it to one of my upcoming concepts

I’ll change their Stats, so that people wouldn’t be able to do what you mentioned.

How about removing 4 stacks of Hardies, instead of just all the stacks? Then again, removing the longest lasting buff does sound good, since it could negate Shields or Healing Over Time…

I’ll change it to 500-750.

I’ll overhaul these allies; thank you for pointing this out since I was going with allies that fit the theme, but then I realized I’d sticking people with mostly useless allies with little damage contribution (or none at all with Joy)

I figured with how Curses may or may not make a major comeback to the scene, especially considering the amount of combos you can now pull off with Curse, it’d be good to have some kind of counter to them, especially since some Curses can last long periods of time, like 12 seconds with Magica, or however long Forest of Thorns lasts when paired with Maleficent’s Red Skill and maxed out Jack Skellington Disk.

Debuffed allies is certainly more accessible, though then you run the risk of people just using the same character over and over again in line-ups.

It was part of

I’ll be sure to smush them together

Lol I was half-asleep when I was thought of that XD and tbh I just wanted to post it ASAP and be done with it. I’ll be sure to change the %, and swap the numbers

@Filadae_Djaq Thank you for the feedback! This one was much more experimental than my other sets (I think) and I went over and through a lot of ideas, which is probably why it’s not quite up to snuff lol

But I still had fun either way :grin:

I’ll be sure to implement the changes at a later date, since I have other concepts to do in the meantime

Thank you very much! I’m happy you enjoyed reading my concept :hugs:

I’ll do my best with condensing things

3 Likes
PerBlue Entertainment | Terms of Use | Cookie Policy | © Disney